Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
frisbee2421

Re: p-83 double action problem

Post by frisbee2421 »

here are a couple of photos:
SSCN1233.JPG
Attachments
SSCN1232.JPG
Last edited by frisbee2421 on November 29th, 2012, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

and another frontal view photo:
SSCN1231.JPG
SSCN1231.JPG (23.09 KiB) Viewed 10187 times
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That does not look like a fun thing to mess around with.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Wow that original one sure does look broken. Snapped right in half. You hammer does look a good bit more worn than mine. If it was a well used P-83 there is no telling how many thousands of rounds have been put through it. Small parts like that brake over time/use. Glad you identified the problem and are getting it fixed. I really like mine too.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

very disappointed. i have tried 2 different vendors for a replacement spring that fits in the recess hole of the sear and the hammer. kind've pissed actually. tried buymilsurp.com i won't do business with that guy ever again. then i tried this guy in poland. he sent me the wrong size spring too. it would help me out greatly if someone could snap a photo of this spring and measure it for me. i am going to have to fabricate one from an ar15 trigger spring kit, being that the ar15 spring is the only one that fits in that hole. it is too long, so i will have to trim it down to size. any thoughts from my fellow members here?
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

and i left out the fact that it took nearly a month for the guy in poland to get the wrong part to me.
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

weasel640, when you had your hammer out, could you see the spring that was in between the sear and the hammer on your pistol. i want to make sure that there is one there.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

frisbee2421 wrote:weasel640, when you had your hammer out, could you see the spring that was in between the sear and the hammer on your pistol. i want to make sure that there is one there.
Yes there was a spring in there. That sucks that it's taking this long to not get the right parts. You can see in my pics how at rest the hammer ratchet/Hammer Fly stays in the outward position. I'd use a punch in place of the hammer ratchet pin for testing/fitting. I'd start off eye balling where to trim by putting the spring in the hammer then inserting the punch through the hammer and have the ratchet on the punch but on the side so to see where the spring would line up. I'd give myself a little extra length of spring and slowly trim it down testing fit. You want it long enough to keep tension on the ratchet but not to much or to little. I think the spring is just longer than the thickness of the neck of the hammer.

Hope this helps.

Try to get some pics of the process you use. That way if you hit a snag we can help more. Also others can learn from it if they encounter the same problem.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

Great News!
my p-83 is back in action, that is double action and single action. i located the spring i needed from a guy named marcin in poland. a bit pricey but i was willing to pay. if you guys ever have a need for parts this guy is worth the money. the bad news is that it required paying a gunsmith $50 to fit the parts. it was $50 well spent. i could have just left it as a single action pistol but it annoyed me. the gunsmith had to ream the pin hole to get the pin started. he said i would have never been able to get it just right and i believe him. i figured i would leave it to the professional. he said that the pin was a tight fit and wouldn't come out on its own. if you have any questions let me know.
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

i should add that the guy in poland didn't leave me hanging on the spring. i sent him a picture of the spring and sear. he went to his armorer and got me the spring asap. he told me to keep the incorrect parts in the event that i need them. he is a straight up fellow that values his reputation. heck, i may wire him an extra 10 bucks for making it right. he's listed on gunbroker. it makes you feel good when your pistol works like it supposed to.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
frisbee2421

Post by frisbee2421 »

yep, that's him curly. he's straight up, you don't have to worry if you buy something from him. very nice guy.