Serious question about CZ-82

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
rottenrick

Serious question about CZ-82

Post by rottenrick »

My question is this, those of you that have CZ-82's does your wife or girl friends have a problem shooting and handling the pistol?? Is the grip too wide,or recoil too much for them?? I'm thinking of buying two 82's one for myself, the other for the wife's nightside stand. Even though I'm good to go, my wife may not be, she has strength issues. She can use a pump, but doesn't like too drag it from to room. Revolvers are ok', automatics are ok', but racking a slide in single action is a little tough for her. The polish baby we all know and love has a tough recoil for her. Guess I still couldn't lose with a couple of 82's, but wouldn't solve the problem. I'm open to suggestions.
jobot

Re: Serious question about CZ-82

Post by jobot »

a mak pistol is not really the ideal weapon for home defense get a shotgun.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

My buddy just got his medium-frame wife a CZ-82, she loves it and can hit what she's aiming at.
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by piaggior »

My wife has strength issues, also. She shoots my CZ-82 alright, but she has problems racking the slide. She is okay with the recoil, but she doesn't really like the way the pistol feels in her hand. Maybe the grip is a bit too large.

I got her a S&W model 36 with a 3" barrel, and hogue monogrips. It is a well used pistol, so the trigger is nice and smooth. I have her shoot light self-defense loads, and now that is the only pistol she actually enjoys shooting.
vimes

Post by vimes »

My 120 lb gf has no trouble with the slide, grip or recoil, but everyone is different and you never know until you try it. The CZ-82's are so cheap you may as well just get two and try it. It is completely different from the p64 (i.e. much more comfortable to shoot and handle). Everyone I know who has shot the CZ has been extremely happy with it. Meaning, they hit what they aimed at and it was reliable and fairly easy on the hands. If you're worried about her racking the slide, why not just keep it in double action mode with one in the chamber?

If that doesn't work out, you may want to try a 38 special revolver. J&G has some nice deals on DAO police trade-in's ATM

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/4122
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

In regards to "racking" the slide... Rather than having her "pull" back on the slide, have her grip the slide, and push forward with the grip, holding the slide in place. Often times this is easier because of the limited amount of grip surface area on the slide. Make it a quick movement, not slow, or she'll just be dragging it out and it will seem hard. Sometimes cocking the hammer before "racking" the slide makes it a bit easier as well.

A revolver is the next best thing as vimes said.
mirother

Post by mirother »

+1 on the revolver idea. J&G has plenty of S&W Model 10's, 64's in good condition at good prices. With +P ammo, you have a better defense load, and a revolver is easier to operate.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Gave each of my SIL a CZ-82 for CCW a couple years ago. They carry them all the time. One is thinking she wants a S&W 642 or Ruger LCR type revolver. the others are happy with the CZ-82 and one now also want a "big gun" like a 1911. I think I created a bunch of female gun nuts. :)
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I have two .38's for her, a Rossi with a 3" barrel, S&W 642, plus a 870 youth model 20 ga. express. I was looking for something with a higher capacity. She also has a very protective inside dog/early warning system. There is at least one gun hidden in every room. I'd like to wean her of the revolvers. Because now the 20 ga. pump is becoming a problem too, maybe a 20 ga. Coach gun. I'll get the 82's anyway. I'll have too see how she reacts to the 82's. Even if that doesn't workout I haven't lost anything. Thanks fella's. Blackblade, for some reason my wife does not like the 642, doesn't like the way it handles, she does like to go single action some times, likes to 'Thumb cock it' says feels more accurate that way.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

juniustaylor wrote:In regards to "racking" the slide... Rather than having her "pull" back on the slide, have her grip the slide, and push forward with the grip, holding the slide in place. Often times this is easier because of the limited amount of grip surface area on the slide. Make it a quick movement, not slow, or she'll just be dragging it out and it will seem hard. Sometimes cocking the hammer before "racking" the slide makes it a bit easier as well.
This is a good technique to teach, it takes less strength, and actually saves you time if you do it this way when reloading.

I very much disagree about the DAO revolver idea. If a person is to weak/small to operate a slide, how do you expect them to handle the poundage on the trigger of a DAO revolver????? That poundage will cause them to pull their shots to the right (if right handed) and cause misses!

Yes try the CZ-82, as far as hand guns go it is very easy to operate. If some one is to weak to operate a CZ-82 they have NO business handling a firearm (in my opinion)! You might as well get them a tazor or good pepper spray. If strength is an issue, it will cause failure, panic, and misses in a real-life situation! DO NOT risk that!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Perhaps weakness is the wrong term. She has what is starting to be a worsening case of arthritus. Pain lessens the effectiveness of her grip.
lcberlin

Post by lcberlin »

I would suggest dropping down in caliber if she is having issues with her hands. I would recommend the Beretta Tom Cat in .32acp. I already know what most people think of the caliber, but it has proven to be effective, compared to a gun you cannot shoot. :wink: It has a tip-up barrel for loading the chamber, so she doesn't have to rack the slide, the safety is a very positive hammer lock. As a nightstand pistol, it should be great. Just an idea for you to think on.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

In regards to the Tom Cat, get one of the good ones. They were having quite a problem with the original frame with stress cracks. What did Beretta do for those folks? Nothing. They won't even answer your question about it nor offer to replace the cracked frame. Google it, there's lots of articles about it cracking. You can just ask fknipfer1 about his.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

rottenrick wrote:Perhaps weakness is the wrong term. She has what is starting to be a worsening case of arthritus. Pain lessens the effectiveness of her grip.
I stand by my original statement. Get her a tazor or good pepper spray, and make sure she can operate them.

If you truly intend on her being able to use a self defense weapon get her something that there is NO question as to weather she'll have trouble operating it. If she has trouble with a weapon in a relaxed environment, there is no telling what will happen in a stressful self defense situation especially when panic kicks in. Again, DO NOT RISK THIS!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

How do you guys carry your CZ-82. I usually carry with a round in the tube, but uncocked. I've never been a fan of cocked and locked (in a IWB atleast).