My new addition, P-83!

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
mitski

My new addition, P-83!

Post by mitski »

Hello to all!

I recently purchased a P-83 Wanad to add to my collection and I am pleased that I did. So far I really like this pistol and besides it makes a nice companion to my P-64. :D I found a really nice specimen and just couldn't pass it up. I haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet, but looking forward to see how it shoots. I can tell already the trigger is much, much better than my P-64. It has a reasonable DA pull unlike it's predecessor and a nice SA pull as well. Looks and feels like a very nice quality weapon. Now on with pics!
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
Regards,

Ski
blackblade

Re: My new addition, P-83!

Post by blackblade »

I believe that you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. In fact I just got two more since J&G dropped the price (as well as a couple more Bulgy maks). Now I have to get to the gun club and shoot. Very nice guns. Enjoy!

viewtopic.php?t=2999
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

mitski, where did you get your P-83 from? Yours looks much better than the one I got from J&G using the "hand pick" feature. Also did you whiten the caliber/model lettering on them yourself or did they both come that way?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Probably a white crayon. Those are some sharp looking guns mitski. fknipfer1 had bought one of these from J&G, paid for the hand select. Turns out it was extremely filthy, he said cakes of powder came off the inside of the slide. Also, the loaded chamber indicator was missing. J&G did send him the missing parts for free when he requested them.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

juniustaylor wrote:Probably a white crayon. Those are some sharp looking guns mitski. fknipfer1 had bought one of these from J&G, paid for the hand select. Turns out it was extremely filthy, he said cakes of powder came off the inside of the slide. Also, the loaded chamber indicator was missing. J&G did send him the missing parts for free when he requested them.
Yeah mine came from them caked with powder too. I don't think it's missing any parts. The loaded chamber indicator is there. But the firing pin spring seems worn out tho. The pin rattles in the slide like it should on a Makarov and some times the pin won't drop into safe correctly because it's not far enough back. If the have extra parts I wonder if they have a good firing pin spring. I've got no clue how to get the thing out yet though. Has anyone figured out how to remove the safety and firing pins on these yet?

Thanks
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Weasel640 wrote:Yeah mine came from them caked with powder too. I don't think it's missing any parts. The loaded chamber indicator is there. But the firing pin spring seems worn out tho. The pin rattles in the slide like it should on a Makarov and some times the pin won't drop into safe correctly because it's not far enough back. If the have extra parts I wonder if they have a good firing pin spring. I've got no clue how to get the thing out yet though. Has anyone figured out how to remove the safety and firing pins on these yet?

Thanks
To my knowledge, they come apart almost like the P-64. Easiest way is to make the firing pin stick out the bolt face and use a pair of forceps/hemostats to clamp it in place. From there you remove the safety and it should all come apart. Your firing pin should be just fine, your spring is either worn out, broken, or missing.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

K never mind. I got it apart fine. It was just so dirty it didn't want to play nice, and I didn't want to force anything. So now that I have it apart I found that the firing pin spring has three different sections broken off, totaling about four coils missing. This explains the rattling and partial functioning. So now I'll be calling J&G as soon as they open. That hand select fee is a total rip-off from J&G! Odd thing is this spring is closer in size to one you would find in a pen. I wonder if a shortened P-64 spring would work to replace it with. I'd rather have the right one tho.
Weasel

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yes, I'd rather have the correct spring. They have a specific load rating so that the affected parts will function as they're supposed to.
Just inform J&G that you're rather disappointed in their Hand Select service and your spring is broken. I would think they'd ship one out to you at no cost. The hand select service is iffy. It's almost 50/50. Some folks have an excellent experiment and other folks feel like they got hosed! Glad you got it apart and could see what the problem was.
mitski

Post by mitski »

Thanks for compliments, I appreciate it. Both the P-64 and P-83 I purchased from Family Firearms & Finishes. He personally hand picks all his surplus weapons, no bulk purchases. He will search through hundreds of guns and maybe pull a handful that meet his criteria. His pricing is slightly higher than some, but you definitely get what you pay for IMHO. Plus both of my guns came with two mags and the P-64 also came with the holster. I can't say enough good things about them, great people to deal with and the first place I go when I'm looking to make a purchase. Both of my pistols came pre cleaned, atleast the majority of the crud was removed. I still had to field strip and give it a thorough cleaning, but it made things a lot easier.

I used white crayon to highlight the markings, it won't harm the finish and looks good for photos. China markers work as well, but I've never tried them.

Regards,

Ski
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Why don't you post some pics so we can get an idea of what is happening with your paint job.

Maybe someone can help you out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

This message is so off topic, it seems like spam. This poster (crisaddriel) only has this one post, but he has his signature block set up with a link to a knife store. He posted a question regarding a P-64 in an old P-83 post. The spammers seemed to post in old posts much like this. Seems like a phishy post to me.

crisaddriel, If you are not a spammer sorry. Next time start a new topic in the "General P-64 Discussion" or "Modifications, Fixes, and Repairs" sections.
Weasel

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I agree with Weasel. Way off topic and if you were going to paint something brown, why would you paint it white just to have to strip it and paint it brown? Definitely "phishy" as Weasel says. More than likely he grabbed a can of the "antiqueing" spray paint that cracks as it dries, LOL!!!!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Not to mention that he has only been on this forum for 7 minutes. He joined at 8:51 and made then posted the same day at 8:58, and has not been back since. In seven minutes he uploaded a picture (probably stolen from another forum), put a link in his profile and put a link in his signature block. But he can't seem to find the right place to post a question, very odd. I don't know why these spammers like to dig up old posts (it hadn't been posted on in two years) but they do.

Besides it's sacrilegious to spray paint a P-64. Why brown? What he's going to do is take something beautiful, and dress it up like a turd.
Last edited by Weasel640 on August 18th, 2012, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Here is another weird thing; Out of the forum members there are 1836 people that have joined but not posted, there are 357 people who have only posted once, and 238 people who have only posted twice. There are almost 3000 people on this site who have posted less than 10 times with just over 500 members that have posted 10 times or more. With only one site admin, and two moderators it seems like a daunting task to sort out what user names are spammers vs just hanging out. I wonder what ISP these spammers are coming from.

With this talk of spammers vs admin, it reminds me that this site needs our support. At the very least flag anyone you think is a spammer, and make site improvement suggestions. Keep in mind that you can also donate, it costs money just to keep these servers alive. Plus it looks like the domain name is up for renewal in early December. If you go to the main page, about halfway down on the left you will see a button that you can use paypal to donate to the site.
Weasel