comparison of pa-63 and cz-82?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
jebib3

comparison of pa-63 and cz-82?

Post by jebib3 »

I am a proud owner of a p-64 and am considering one of the two above. I'd be interested in the views of this elite group of their views of the pros and cons of the two when compared to each other. One factor I don't consider as decisive is magazine capacity. So I guess stated a little differently not considering magazine capacity how would you rate these two models? And if you know where this has already been beaten to death just point me to the link. Thanks for listening. bibski
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: comparison of pa-63 and cz-82?

Post by piaggior »

They are both great guns. The pa-63 is quite a bit lighter, and the grip is smaller, so that is a plus if you will carry concealed. The CZ has a much better out of the box trigger. The grip is a nice size, even for larger hands. To me, the CZ feels like the better made of the two, but the finish is usually pretty rough. Right now, in my area, the CZ seems alot easier to find, also.
camekanix

Post by camekanix »

I have only seen a PA63 and not shot one. I really like the fit, feel & capacity of my CZ 82 though. I must say; the gun I am most impressed with is my P64. Still in awe at it's accuracy!!!
P64, CZ82, CZ52 x2, Hi-points, tt33, and many Mosins in a pear tree.
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

Have both. CZ82 has better trigger and better sights. My best advice is to own both!
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

I like the PA-63 fairly well, and of my 9x18mm's, my brother and father (who hadn't shot any 9x18mm before) were both more accurate and generally impressed with the PA-63 over any other of my 9x18mm's. Sadly, neither wanted to man up and try out the P-64. :roll:

I have to admit, with the alloy frame the PA-63 looks pretty sharp with that contrast action going on... :wink:

But as noted, PA-63s are getting harder to find, while CZ-82s aren't too hard. Depends on whether or not "get one while you still can" is a part of your purchasing considerations, I guess.
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

primarchbentley wrote:I like the PA-63 fairly well, and of my 9x18mm's, my brother and father (who hadn't shot any 9x18mm before) were both more accurate and generally impressed with the PA-63 over any other of my 9x18mm's. Sadly, neither wanted to man up and try out the P-64. :roll:

I have to admit, with the alloy frame the PA-63 looks pretty sharp with that contrast action going on... :wink:

But as noted, PA-63s are getting harder to find, while CZ-82s aren't too hard. Depends on whether or not "get one while you still can" is a part of your purchasing considerations, I guess.
CZ82's are still priced right. And it is a top quality gun in every respect. I went ahead and bought a second one last year just to have. Fixing to do the same with the P64 this year. Own two P63's, but I loaned one to a sibling that I fear I will not see again!
mirother

Post by mirother »

Let me just add my two cents. I own and shoot both. Both are very accurate. The PA-63 is a bit cheaper when bought at the right place and easier to conceal. The CZ-82 is definitely a solid gun, a bargain gun, and a gun with readily available parts. Once the importation dries up, both will be good investments. You just can't go wrong with either and/or both.
gloob

Post by gloob »

Be warned, the PA-63 and the P-64 are completely different guns. The PA-63 is basically a Walther PP clone. The P64 is sometimes considered a Walther clone, too. But in fact it's almost completely unique on the inside, aside from a few derivative similarities.

The feel, the trigger action, and the ergos are very, very different.
polock

Post by polock »

Both good guns, but CZ82 a bit large for CCW (IMO) tho much nicer/easier to shoot. Seems to me the P64/P63 serve same purpose--good for CCW with lousy DA pulls.
Solution: get a P83! Great DA, accurate, and small enough for CCW--
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

For the money it's hard to do better than a CZ-82. Contrary to what some have said, I find that it carries quite comfortably in a pocket if you use a good holster.

-S
smbob

Post by smbob »

I own both of them. They are both cool in their own ways. The PA63 is
real light and it points nice. With Silver bear FMJ and Wolf FMJ ammo
it feels real snappy in your hand when you shoot it because of the
light weight alloy frame. After a half a box of ammo I am ready to
put it up. I think with reduced reloads it would be a different story.
The CZ 82 is heavier and more robust. It has better sights. It also
has greater capacity. It is a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion.
Sometimes you get lucky and get one with a good finish. Most of the
time they look pretty rough. No big deal though. Mechanically they
are just fine though. Refinishing them is all part of the fun of owning
one. Like most have said here get both of them. You can't go wrong
with that strategy.

Robert
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Really an apples and oranges thing. That said, I don't own a pa-63 (yet), but the cz-82 has to be the king of 9x18 pistols. Capacity, ergonomics, sights, accuracy, you name it. Great price and currently available too. Only the East German PM has equal or better fit and finish in my opinion. I'd get one or two while they are still cheap and readily available. They'll only go up in price.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Absolutly love em both and the P64... all have their nich so buy all three.. I qualify every year with 82 and in the informal practise contests it out shots most every one else better known auto...
smbob

Post by smbob »

polock wrote:Both good guns, but CZ82 a bit large for CCW (IMO) tho much nicer/easier to shoot. Seems to me the P64/P63 serve same purpose--good for CCW with lousy DA pulls.
Solution: get a P83! Great DA, accurate, and small enough for CCW--
My PA63 had a horrible DA trigger pull when I first got it. That was the
bad news. The good news is I replaced the hammer spring and the
mainspring with Wolff springs. It took all of about 5 minutes and now
the DA pull is fantastic with absolutely zero FTF issues. Cost: About
$14. :D

Robert
big54r

Post by big54r »

I really would like to get a pa-63...are there any left to be had and where do I scoop one up?