CZ-82 premature slide lock

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
toivo

CZ-82 premature slide lock

Post by toivo »

Hi folks, haven't posted in a while. I'm having probs with my CZ-82 locking the slide back when there's still one or two or three rounds left in the magazine. It's the craziest thing. Sometimes I can run through five whole magazines without a hiccup, and other times it happens once or twice per magazine.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the gun is clean or dirty; it has happened under both conditions. I don't think it's magazine-dependent, either--I've been keeping track, and it has happened with all my magazines. As malfunctions go, it's very easy to clear: just pull the slide back all the way, let it go, and I'm back in business. But obviously I'd be happier if this wasn't happening.

I've been shooting nothing but Silver Bear FMJ. I replaced the slide stop spring with one from Norm when I first got the pistol about a year ago. He sent me a few springs--maybe I should try another? Do I need the spring to be stronger?

What else could it be? Is there something I'm overlooking?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: CZ-82 premature slide lock

Post by juniustaylor »

Weak spring on your slide lock maybe? Your magazine follower normally controls the slide lock, however, if your recoil were allowing it to move during firing, I would suppose it could lock back. Unless someone else has some better suggestions, that's what I'd go with. Make sure the spring is installed properly and/or buy a new spring.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I had the same problem with a .45. Turns out as the ammo moved up in the magazine it was bumping the lever causing it to engage.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Foo Bird, that would sound plausible. Good suggestion.
toivo

Post by toivo »

juniustaylor wrote:Your magazine follower normally controls the slide lock, however, if your recoil were allowing it to move during firing, I would suppose it could lock back.
Hmm... The slide would have be in just the right place when the slide lock hiccuped (that is, the cutout in the slide would have to be right over top of the slide lock lever) in order for the slide to lock back. That would explain the problem being intermittent. Makes sense.
Foo Bird wrote:I had the same problem with a .45. Turns out as the ammo moved up in the magazine it was bumping the lever causing it to engage.
That sounds possible too. How did you solve the problem (or didn't you)?
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

toivo wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:Your magazine follower normally controls the slide lock, however, if your recoil were allowing it to move during firing, I would suppose it could lock back.
Hmm... The slide would have be in just the right place when the slide lock hiccuped (that is, the cutout in the slide would have to be right over top of the slide lock lever) in order for the slide to lock back. That would explain the problem being intermittent. Makes sense.
Foo Bird wrote:I had the same problem with a .45. Turns out as the ammo moved up in the magazine it was bumping the lever causing it to engage.
That sounds possible too. How did you solve the problem (or didn't you)?
Ooops. The solution would help, wouldn't it? :?
I grabbed the ammo I was using at the time or some just like it. First I used a permanent marker to blacken the part of the release that contacted the follower. Then I loaded the mag and moved it in and out of the well while the slide was locked back. Then I examined the side of the bullet for scratches and the release lever for removed marker. Out came the Dremel and I ground down the lever until there was no contact, but still enough material to solidly release the slide.
The picture below is just an example, but the short nub that goes through the frame is the part I'm talking about. I kep the basic triangle shape, just thinned it.

The funny thing is I didn't shoot the darned thing for years because of that problem and only recently discovered the fix...now that I plan to sell it.
toivo

Post by toivo »

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to pull it apart this weekend and see what I can figure out.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

It happened with my CZ82 due to a weak slide stop spring. During recoil the slide stop would jiggle upwards and lock back prematurely. Get a new one from Norm and you should be set.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Something like this happened to my on Friday during a timed competition :( (first ever problem with my CZ).

In my case though I think the mag wasn't seated properly and the slide caught on the second to last round, not the slide lock. I dunno for sure, as I was in a hurry to clear it. Looked like there was slightly more daylight between the mag's floor plate and the bottom of the grip than usual.

If it happens again and it's not a mag problem I'll definitely look at the other possible solutions posted here, thanks guys.
toivo

Post by toivo »

Just an update: Haven't had my 82 out lately, but today I pulled the slide off and did a little investigating. I inserted a mag containing one snap cap to check the clearance between the top round and the slide stop. No problem there: plenty of clearance. Also, the slide stop spring is putting some pretty healthy tension on the slide stop: seems like it should be enough to hold it against recoil, but I guess you never know.

Mystery still not solved. I'll be taking it out to the range again this weekend, and see what's happening.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

I've got the same problem. I fired two magazines, no problem. The next magazine, the slide locked back with a round still in the clip. I was thinking it was a magazine problem, but it happens on both magazines.
toivo

Post by toivo »

I just got back from a range session: fired about 100 rounds with absolutely no malfunctions. I do have a nice bruise on my thumb, though. :mrgreen: