Please Compare Bulgarian Mak and P83

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
raz

Please Compare Bulgarian Mak and P83

Post by raz »

There are many similarities between the Bulgarian Makarov and the Polish P83. Can some of you who have both of them compare them on quality of construction, accuracy, etc.??
I would like both, but need to choose one for now. Which would you suggest? How do they compare with the P64 or the PA 63?
raz
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Please Compare Bulgarian Mak and P83

Post by juniustaylor »

fknipfer1 has both of these handguns. He can certainly tell you his opinion on them. I do believe that he is moreso partial to his EG Makarov though. Give him a PM.

Direct link to PM him.
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=2324
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I like both myself. The P-83 has the nice mag release lever on the heel of the grip which is convenient. I think the quality of both are decent although I do like the German Makarov finish better (just looks nicer). Pretty much a toss up but I heard that only 200 of the P-83 were available and sold thru J&G whereas the Bulgy Maks are available at J&G, SOG and were available at AIM until recently.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

One other note. The P-83 has no spare parts available from my research. It's pretty much like the P-64. If something breaks, you're at a dead end road. However, if you do buy one from J&G, they will often send a replacement part if something is messed up when you get it... they may even send you a part if you shoot it the first time and it breaks. Just something to consider. The Makarovs have so many spare parts out the wahzoo, it's probably the best option. I do think they're both sharp looking guns.
raz

Post by raz »

Thanks to you both....is there much difference that you can see with accuracy or sights? What about recoil....are they closer to the P64 or the CZ82?
Thanks,
raz
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

I have fired my Bulg. Mak and P83 a grand total of one time apiece so this is just my initial impression fwiw. For comparison sake both pistols were new/unissued, firing 50 rounds of 94 gr. FMJ Silver Bear in each @ 7 yards.

Both functioned flawlessly. The Mak was a bit more accurate (but not as accurate as a P64) and easier to handle from an ergonomic and recoil standpoint.

For me the P83 is the more interesting gun from a curiosity/coolness standpoint. It is heftier than I first suspected when I read that it's constructed of stamped metal. However there are two design features on the P83 that I do not like. The elongated hammer spur is difficult to cock unless you have a thumb like a tentacle. Also the absence of a cutout where the rear of the trigger guard intersects the frontstrap (you can see it in blackblade's photo above) beat up my middle finger after shooting just a few rounds.

Fit and finish on both my Mak and P83 are outstanding. I recommend both as collector pieces and occasional shooters. hangfire out
raz

Post by raz »

hangfire.....very helpful....thanks,
raz
mirother

Post by mirother »

I own both as well. It really depends what you value most. There is not a lot of difference between them. When it comes to getting parts, the Mak wins hands down. However, if you want a carry pistol, the P-83 is lighter. However, mags are available for the Mak in quantity whereas the P-83 mags can only be obtained from J&B. I believe the trigger on the P-83 is better than the Bulgy Mak. There is at least a hammer spur on the P-83 to cock it with your thumb. Forget trying that on the Mak with its round hammer. I guess I lean a bit toward the P-83, but you cannot go wrong either way.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

There is a guy in Warsaw selling P-83 magazines on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse ... 4&Items=50

About the only other source I know/
mirother

Post by mirother »

blackblade,
Thanks for the info.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

I don't have a Mak but I love my P-83. I also ordered some of those mags (from GB) and while it took about 3 1/2 weeks, they are in fantastic shape and worth the wait. I handled a few Maks at a gunshow and they were quite heavy compared to the '83 but I do intend to get one at some point. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. My '83 is very accurate (more so than me I must admit).
mirother

Post by mirother »

cubsfan,
Were you able to get more than one extra mag per gun from J&B? Their fliers in print seem to leave open that possibility but the website does not. I do like the improvement of the Polish mag, since the sharp edge at the bottom folds under. The Mak always has that edge to catch on something.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

No unfortunately. I asked and they would only let me buy one additional mag per gun. I called a couple of times and talked to different people before I ended up buying just to see if somebody would sell me more. As I posted above, I did order several from theGun Broker seller BlackBlade posted and I would not hesitate to do so again. All the mags I got are in great shape.
mirother

Post by mirother »

cubsfan,
Thanks for the info. These do look good.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Heads up - AIM has P-83 incl. 2 mags in stock now.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=102

Looks like a little cheaper which explains why J&G dropped their price for larger orders.