P83 SLIDE LOCK

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
elguapo346

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by elguapo346 »

Hello,

After following the P83 WANAD for a few years it is finally becoming available in this country in quantity [read affordable price].

I have two questions regarding this pistol:
1. Does anyone have any general impressions about it AFTER owning one and shooting it?

2. As this pistol has a slide lock, does that mean it stays Open after the last round has been fired and the magazine is empty?

I appreciate all your time and effort in replying,
Mike
mirother

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by mirother »

Mike,
My general impression of the gun is that it is much better than I expected. When I heard that it was not milled but made from weldings, I thought that it might be somewhat ugly. The pistol is definitely not ugly, although you can tell it is not milled. The great part about it is that it is light in weight, a joy to carry. Yet, when you fire it, it does not beat you up. The balance is wonderful, and the trigger is better than in most 9x18's, certainly better than the DA of the P-64. The only downside is the limited number of magazines available. You almost need to buy two guns to get enough magazines to have one carry gun. The pistol does stay open after the last round is fired.
elguapo346

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by elguapo346 »

Mirother,

Thanks for the comments, VERY interesting.

As for the 8-rnd. magazine(s):
1. I live in the "land of J&G" and they are offering a second magazine for $ale when you first purchase the pistol.
2. Interestingly, several writiers on the Internet have mentioned that Makarov magazines are interchaneable with the P83. At this point I have only read that, don't own a P83 so can't try it to see if its true. (You or anyone else able to test this out?)

Regards,
Mike
mirother

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by mirother »

Mike,
Yes, I took advantage of that deal with J&G, but I like to have at least three mags for a carry gun, especially with a single stack. The second point has been discussed on earlier threads. The MAK mags with minor modifications probably would work in the Polish P-83. The slightly different shape of the Polish mags make them unusable in a MAK. The question is with MAK mags running $20 or so each, who wants to make these modifications? I know of no one who has actually done it. I believe people are waiting to see if Polish mags come into the country in quantity. My understanding is that modified MAK mags would not hold open the slide if they were used in a MAK again.
elguapo346

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by elguapo346 »

mirother,

Again, thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking about driving up to get one of the J&G P83s at the end of March. As with the P63s, I can wait 6-8 months for a shppmt. of extra mags to arrive - J&G would list them when they arrived. I agree, its not a good feeling having only 2 mags that are single stack 8s.

Also, thanks for the word on the Mak magazines. While I had heard they might(?) fit, I didn't consider that they might have to be modified, or especially, that they might not hold Open the slide after the last round. 'Makes sense.

The main thing I like about the "Board" is the fact that everyone is so helpful when it comes to exchanging information.

Finally, although its only slightly related to this thread, has anyone reported purchasing/receiving a P83 with a rounded or bobbed hammer?

Thanks again,
Mike
mirother

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by mirother »

Mike,
The final variant of the P-83 was sometimes called the P-93. It had a rounded hammer. A small quantity of commercial P-83's were imported to the U.S. and they had this feature. These may show up from time to time, but I believe that you will pay a premium for this type of hammer.
blackblade

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by blackblade »

I find the P-83 a surprisingly very good pistol:

viewtopic.php?t=2999

I have three and would probably get more if I was working.
mirother

P83 SLIDE LOCK

Post by mirother »

blackblade
I went back and read your thread. I agree with you completely. The gun is well made, well designed. It is easy to shoot well. The mags pop out compared to other guns with a heel catch.