Ammo prices. Wow!

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
918collector

Re: Ammo prices. Wow!

Post by 918collector »

It's been my experience that you have to pretty much walk around the whole gunshow to check prices. They can vary quite a bit. Unless I see a table with what I know is a really good price, I don't bite at the first opportunity. It amazes me what people are willing to pay, even if they buy in bulk.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

918collector you are ABSOLUTELY right. I went by one table that had them (Silver Bear 9x18mm Mak) for $10 / box I believe. I am sure that was the best price there as the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm ammo was $9 at the same place. No tax, the listed price is what you paid. However, I went a couple tables down (a couple tables) and they wanted about $11.50 for the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm and I think the 9x18mm Mak was somewhere around $12 or so. You'd think that folks wouldn't want to be undersold so they'd scope out their competitors. However, maybe it's like Wal-Mart. Some folks can buy in so much bulk that they can afford to pass on the good deal to their customers. Needless to say, I did buy my ammo from the first table! ;)
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

juniustaylor wrote:918collector you are ABSOLUTELY right. I went by one table that had them (Silver Bear 9x18mm Mak) for $10 / box I believe. I am sure that was the best price there as the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm ammo was $9 at the same place. No tax, the listed price is what you paid. However, I went a couple tables down (a couple tables) and they wanted about $11.50 for the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm and I think the 9x18mm Mak was somewhere around $12 or so. You'd think that folks wouldn't want to be undersold so they'd scope out their competitors. However, maybe it's like Wal-Mart. Some folks can buy in so much bulk that they can afford to pass on the good deal to their customers. Needless to say, I did buy my ammo from the first table! ;)
I can see a minor dollar difference, but what always cracks me up are the folks asking $10+ more a box then what you can get it shipped for or what others are asking at the same show...
Arik

Post by Arik »

tiber1 wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:918collector you are ABSOLUTELY right. I went by one table that had them (Silver Bear 9x18mm Mak) for $10 / box I believe. I am sure that was the best price there as the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm ammo was $9 at the same place. No tax, the listed price is what you paid. However, I went a couple tables down (a couple tables) and they wanted about $11.50 for the Brown Bear 7.62x54mm and I think the 9x18mm Mak was somewhere around $12 or so. You'd think that folks wouldn't want to be undersold so they'd scope out their competitors. However, maybe it's like Wal-Mart. Some folks can buy in so much bulk that they can afford to pass on the good deal to their customers. Needless to say, I did buy my ammo from the first table! ;)
I can see a minor dollar difference, but what always cracks me up are the folks asking $10+ more a box then what you can get it shipped for or what others are asking at the same show...
+1
I was at a show a month ago (York Pa) And one of the vendors was selling a sealed spam can of Polish surplus 7.62x25 for $350 :shock: Online they are around $150 + shipping. The next week I saw the same vendor at another show selling the same spam can for the same price however, this time it was free if you bought his Romy TT for $299
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

A lot of these people think you're stupid. I asked a guy about a rifle today. He quoted a price about two hundred too high. I ask him what his fee for a transfer was because I was going to buy the rifle from J&G, at they're price, not his. His comment no kidding was: " 60 BUCKS FOR YOU". I bid him a good day. The guy was just arrogant. I'm not at home so I couldn't go thru my regular guy.
918collector

Post by 918collector »

I'm guessing that they must be pretty successful at selling to the stupid ones. Otherwise they'd just be sitting on all those boxes. I've actually seen people show up to buy with coaster wagons to haul it off.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

rottenrick wrote:A lot of these people think you're stupid. I asked a guy about a rifle today. He quoted a price about two hundred too high. I ask him what his fee for a transfer was because I was going to buy the rifle from J&G, at they're price, not his. His comment no kidding was: " 60 BUCKS FOR YOU". I bid him a good day. The guy was just arrogant. I'm not at home so I couldn't go thru my regular guy.
That's a shame. Sorry that guy was a jerk, I don't understand what's wrong with people. Sure, folks gotta make money to feed their families somehow, but highway robbery isn't the right way. Scam artists!
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I've found that certain businesses attract certain types of people. I was into muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's and I met so many people I would rather punch out than buy from it wasn't funny.
With that said, when you find someone decent, hang onto them like they were gold. 90% of the time when you do right by them they will do right by you.
As for gun shows, I gave up on finding deals back in the 90's. Anymore you mostly have people who want to get rich off the newbies.
Arik

Post by Arik »

Foo Bird wrote: As for gun shows, I gave up on finding deals back in the 90's. Anymore you mostly have people who want to get rich off the newbies.
+1 I now go to the shows only because it going to have most of what I'm looking for under one roof.
jamestday

Post by jamestday »

There is a gun show going on right now in my area – don’t go because prices are nuts and the vendors mostly seem shady to me. Sometimes I go just to get ideals and handle something I’m thinking about getting on-line, but want to see first. My local gun shops are poorly stocked so the shows are my best ideal generator, but not for price

My last 9x18 ammo sweep findings: I was looking for bulk Silver Bear FMJ for practice.

Sportsman’s Guide 250/500/1000rnds = $55/$106/$205 best price IF you are a member, and IF you use the $10 off coupon code (SN176) which just about covers shipping costs.

Military Shooters, LLC 500/1000rnds = $110/$215 including shipping to my zip – yours may vary

Ammo To Go 500/1000rnds = $118/$221 including shipping to my zip
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Guys it's like some people don't realise they can get a better deal on the internet. The guy I deal with in florida is pretty good. When I order I'll ask him if there's something he needs. I made a huge order for 7.62x25 in spam cans. I ordered two more than I really needed. It just so happened he had a lot of people buy him out. I think it was when the TT-33's were less than 200 bucks. He needed some, so sold him two cans at cost, some times he won't charge transfer fees. It all works out some how. I've also had him call me for a couple of boxes of 'Silver Bear' JHP's, one hand washes the other. He doesn't do gun shows but has a real good business. He's also a gun smith. His place is like walking into a candy store, me with only two nickles to rub together. Has a lot of good ethics. Everytime I'm in the shop I try to buy something, even if it's small. If you don't, one day you turn around and all the little guys will be gone.