Wolf Primers.

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolf Primers.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My PA-63 won't properly ignite Wolf primers, some rounds take several hits until ignition, some won't go off at all. I then loaded the very same rounds into my my R-61 and they shoot just fine. I have no problems in any of my other pistole's or revolvers, and the rounds that I have loaded with Winchester and CCI primers work just fine in the PA-63.
I find this a little curious and was wondering if any of you other fellows who reload have run into or have heard of similar issues?
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolf Primers.

Post by normsutton »

G.R.
I don't buy any wolf ammo or their primers , that's one of their problems, their primers are made of steel, not made of brass like other primer's , you ill need to up your hammer spring in the PA-63, be careful wolf primers are known to get pierced, and you will have a brunt firing pin tip if it dose

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolf Primers.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks for the reply Norm, I thought the hardness of their primer metal may be the problem. My range partner has had similar problems in his Taurus PT709 with Wolf ammunition, some rounds just won't ignite. What I find strange is that all of my other pistole's and revolvers work just fine as I mentioned earlier with the Wolf primers.
G.R.
donnerwetter58

Wolf Primers.

Post by donnerwetter58 »

gunney,
I've used thousands of Wolf rifle primers, large and small, without any problems. I don't have any Wolf small pistol primers but I wouldn't hesitate buying them.
I used Wolf small rifle primers in 40 S&W for a Beretta CX4 carbine. Small rifle primers are common in hot 40 S&W loads as the cups are harder and will hold up to higher pressures. I got some light strikes with the Beretta. The Beretta has a plastic hammer and the mass is marginal for most other primers as well. The same loads worked like a champ in an EAA Witness.
I don't know if you have replaced the hammer spring in your PA-63 with a lighter one. A lighter spring may be weak for the Wolf primers.
There are many complaints with Taurus striker fired pistols and Winchester white box ammo when it comes to light strikes.
Out of curiosity I put a magnet to the Wolf primers I have and none attracted.
mikeh1

Wolf Primers.

Post by mikeh1 »

The only ammo I've needed to strike twice(or more) in my PA-63 was Wolf Military Classic, this was with the factory springs. All other brands work perfectly.

gunneyrabbit wrote:My PA-63 won't properly ignite Wolf primers, some rounds take several hits until ignition, some won't go off at all. I then loaded the very same rounds into my my R-61 and they shoot just fine. I have no problems in any of my other pistole's or revolvers, and the rounds that I have loaded with Winchester and CCI primers work just fine in the PA-63.
I find this a little curious and was wondering if any of you other fellows who reload have run into or have heard of similar issues?
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolf Primers.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you boys, I was down with a very nasty flue virus during my vacation and have been under a lot of self imposed pressure to catch up with my back log at work.
The Wolf primers work just fine in the rest of my handguns and I will use them up.
Mikeh1, interesting that your PA-63 had problems with the Military Classic Wolf ammo, I'm curious, is your double action trigger pull light in comparison to the P64?
The trigger pull mine is beautiful and one of the things that makes it one of my favorite 9x18 pistole's. I purchased my pistole from a local retailer, it came with two mags, leather holster and cleaning rod, nicely boxed in card board and still had the white hang tag on it. It was one of three that he had left and I should have picked up another the same day, sorry I didn't.
G.R.