Polygonal Rifling?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, papabear,Dick or one of you other fellows who have the photographic ability's, can you post a photo of what polygonal rifling should look like?
My CZ 82 is accurate enough but the barrel looks like a smooth bore to me. All the examples that I can find on Google don't look anything like my barrel and I'm wondering if I need a replacement.
Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 10th, 2009, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by pshootr »

GLOCK ADVANTAGE

BARREL PROFILE
Solid, cold-hammered barrels with Tenifer surface treatment and rounded (hexagonal or octagonal) interior profiles offer numerous advantages to the user. GLOCK barrels are considerably easier to clean and maintain uniform precision even after a high number of rounds.

GLOCK barrels do not have any corners/edges (as in conventional barrel profiles - see picture) for deposits and enable better ballistic yield.

From the Glock site: http://www.glock.at/images/tips_barrelprofile.gif
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by normsutton »

GR

if I took a pix of my CZ-82 it would look like a shiny tube ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

thanks PshootR

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by papabear »

gunney,

A lot of us thought that when we first got our CZ82's, the barrel to the naked eye does seem to be smooth, but the lands & grooves are there they have just been rounded off. The polygonal bbl as been around for a long time though, as Norm's link brings out, the ole saying comes to mind here, "what goes around comes around". I really like my CZ82, for me its very accurate and I really like the 12+1 capacity.

Here is mine I got from Aim about 2 years ago.
Last edited by papabear on December 10th, 2009, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by dfunk »

Image from the Wiki link Norm posted:
hardcorekeith

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by hardcorekeith »

Your CZ82 is worn out and should be sold. For $50. Do you accept Paypal?
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you folks, we had a house full of people this evening to watch the Christmas ships go by.
Norms description is about what my barrel looks like, a smooth shiny round tube. Like I said, the accuracy is good but it just looks so foreign to me. My plan is to use Brownell's oxyphos bluing to redo the finish. This will be the first try at a high polish, I'm looking forward to the project. Hay NORM, can I use chrome polish on bluing, or should I stick with extra fine steel wool?

Thanks to every one who posted photo's and info, much appreciated, you are all a great bunch of fellows.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by normsutton »

GR
chrome polish will take the blueing off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
918collector

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by 918collector »

The CZ barrel is the smoothest polygonal I have ever seen. With a Glock, one can see a twist but the CZ barely shows a swirl. Works fine with the jacketed bullets I have used, though. Wish I could replace it with a cut-rifled barrel so I could use cast bullets. I tried lead bullets with a Glock 45 and no, it does not work well.
As an aside, the only other polygonal I have ever owned was a KelTec 9mm. I carried it a lot in the woods and it was GREAT with snake shot. Didn't function perfectly but patterned better than any other pistol I ever used snakeshot in.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Polygonal Rifling?

Post by normsutton »

918collector
I have used lead bullets I my CZ -82 , you have to just clean after you shoot it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage