Polish P-83 Wanad at J&G Sales

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
dom

Post by dom »

Placed an online order from them back in June for 2 P-64s, they shipped the same day.
viewtopic.php?t=2714
Last edited by dom on November 17th, 2009, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

8-)

Been laying low on this one so far.......

I have been wanting a P-83 for a long time, have seen some mint ones that were way overpriced, and a couple that were just plain worn down for big "rare gun" bucks.

I am from the original TN Guns P-64 fanclub, where all we got were mint, unfired examples. They, I believe, are gone forever.

When the reviews start coming in I will start thinking again about a P-83. This might be the first wave, but I don't know. Strange that J&G is the only supplier on a "rare" gun. I'm gonna sit back.

Just watching for now..........

Fritzhund

:)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
dom

Post by dom »

gunneyrabbit wrote:Any one out there have the spec's on the pistol, weight, length, width; number or rounds in the mag., etc., etc., etc.?
G.R.
Gunny-
Found this on the makarov.com website:
http://www.makarov.com/graphics/vanad/janevanad.jpg

Along with this review:
Some feedback courtesy of Paul Smith:
The finish is good. About the same as some of the Makarovs that first cane into this country. It's definately military. The fit is excellent. Better than some of the more expensive weapons I own. Granted, almost the entire pistol is made of stamped steel parts but it does not seem to inhibit the quality. The hammer operates with a coil spring not a leaf spring as with the Makarovs. The rest of the mechanics, I'm not sure about. It seems to, basically, be a Makarov. Sights are excellent. The sights come black but have a recessed area that I painted with white paint and are now excellent. The front sight is a dot that is dove-tailed into the slide. and the rear is an open top square that is dove-tailed also and similar to Novak Lo-mounts. Since they are both dove-tailed, I am considering the possibility of nite-sights. The trigger pull is beautiful. Much lighter and smoother than a stock Mak and no gritty feeling. The mag release is in the same place as the Mak but is a lever that, when pushed up, allows tha mag to fall free. No pulling it out. Actually, if I hold the grip horizontally, the mag will shoot out about 3 feet. How did it shoot? Well, I didn't bench shoot it. But just loading up and shooting at about 25 yards, I was able to keep it on a pie plate. I will shoot for accuracy one day and keep you informed. They are more expensive than the Makarovs but I feel that no 9x18 collection would be complete without one. I like the little Vanad.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Dom, thanks for the reply, I appreciate the information.
For me it came down to a choice between an M1 Carbine or a P83 Vanad and I couldn't pass up the carbine. I still want a Vanad but it will be a while before I pick one up with the holidays and all.
I'm curious, for those of you who own a PA 63 or an E. German Makarov and own a P83, is the Vanad a more stable platform for multiple strings of rapid shots than the two aforementioned pistole's?
G.R.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by martilyo »

I ordered one, and I strongly urge you to buy extra mags at the time of purchase. They cost $14.95 but you can't find them anywhere but J&G.
After putting the Makarov and P83 mags side by side, I do believe a Mak mag will work in a P83 if you file down or cut off the pin on the left side of the Mak mag. The slot for the pin in the P83 is in a different position, so they won't slide in without the Mak pin filed off.
I am very pleased with the accuracy and quality of the J&G gun and the workmanship. Much more comfortable to shoot than the P64 IMHO.
redoubt

Post by redoubt »

Wanted to say that I just rec'd a J&G P83. Overall as a hand select it looks great, ordered the extra mag. The decocker funtion feels like the trigger pull of a P64, its downright difficult to decock the gun and the safe/fire funtion is also crunchy. It may be gummed up and need a good cleaning or may be in need of some smith work. Anyway wanted to get this out and ask if any other owners can comment on the decocker ease or lack thereof functionality. Is does operate just with way to much effort.
Last edited by redoubt on December 9th, 2009, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.