How do you carry your CZ-82?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

I am looking for the best way to to conceal carry my CZ-82. I have come up with several options:

1. Magazine in. Safety off. No round in chamber. Rack the slide to cock hamer and chamber a round. Shoot.

2. Magazine in. Safety off. Round in the chamber. DA trigger pull or manually cock the hammer to shoot.

3. Magazine in. Round in chamber. Hammer cocked. Safety on. Disengage safety to shoot. (Cocked and locked)

Which way would be best for CZ-82 concealed carry from a shoulder bag (or IWB holster)? Or is there another carry option I should consider?

I have to admit, cocked and locked makes me feel nervous, but I know a lot of guys carry that way.

What do you think is the best option?

Rick
mirother

Post by mirother »

rick9plus,
I have struggled with this question myself. I really like the CZ-82, but unlike the Makarov, you don't have the option of safety on plus double action pull. I believe that the first option is too slow and the third is asking for an accidental discharge. If there were dual safeties, that would be something else but it is too easy to knock off one safety by accident. So, I follow option 2. Magazine in. Safety off. Round in the chamber. The DA pull is the safety. I try to shoot the first shot DA.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

#2 for me, same as with the P-64, treat em both as revolver, I do suggest practice practice practice if you are carrying them this way.
POINT SHOOTER
richymak

Post by richymak »

IWB universal holster.
I carry all my guns in #1 condition.I practice drawing and racking.I think this is called Israley (spelling) style.
If I thought I was in more danger it would be # 2.
No way number 3.Thats why I only have DA/SA guns.
Rich
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Another vote for #1 condition. I have never (yet) been in a situation where I felt the need to have a round in the tube; that's a serious accident waiting to happen. hangfire
richymak

Post by richymak »

I read a story on another forum I think about a guy who was carrying a 82 in condition 3 in a bag holster of sort and AD'd himself right in the you know what's.
It was told by him and not a relay story.He said the safety got bumped off and trigger got pulled while he was doing some activity.
Ask him if he'd do That again .
I'm not saying it can't be done in a holster,But don't do it in a bag.
I do have a little question to add to this. Would it be safe to do #2 on the other Makarov types such as P64's and PA-63's?
I always wondered that. I beleive all of these have Hammer or pin blocks right?
I've heard the one you really don't want to carry one in the chamber is the CZ-52.

Rich

Rich
mirother

Post by mirother »

Rich
You are right. #3 is an accident waiting to happen. Of course, #1 is safer, but it would be even safer with the clip out. You carry a gun to use in the unlikely event that you need it. #2 is reasonably safe. I think the CZ-82 was designed to be carried this way. I do prefer the Mak and I keep the safety on. I see no problem carrying a P-64 with the safety off since the trigger pull is so heavy. It is just as safe as any revolver. Yet, with a little practice, keeping the safety on seems to me a better way to go. I do keep the safety on with the PA-63. That may be irrational, but that is how I handle it. To each his own I guess. I would like to know more about the safety issues with the CZ 52. I know nothing about that.
jsmaye

Post by jsmaye »

If it was in a loose holster (or bag, as it sounds like in the above story), then #2. If it was in a proper holster, I'd have no problem with #2 or #3. The 1911A1 has been carried "cocked and locked" for nearly 100 years. If I felt the need to carry, then there's no way it would be #1 (no round chambered). If it's merely being transported, then no round, no magazine.
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

Right now, my CZ-82 is in a snug leather holster inside of a Maxpedition shoulder bag. So I'm not worried about the trigger being pulled while carrying, but still feel better about carrying in option #2 (round in the chamber, pistol not cocked.) The CZ-82 trigger is much more manageable than on my P-64 and it should be no problem to squeeze off a decent DA first shot. Having to rack a round into the chamber in an emergency (option #1), or walking around with the pistol loaded and cocked (option #3) are not as appealing to me.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
rigger

Post by rigger »

According to the instructon of the CCW class I attended, the average time for a gun confrontation from realization to bang is 3 seconds. That's the average time. 12 in the mag, 1 in the pipe, hammer down, safety off. No need to think, just point and shoot. DA trigger pull is heavy enough, firing pin is return spring loaded. I like KISS situations. Keep It Simple Stupid. ;)
norsk

Post by norsk »

I will carry any of my 1911's in condition 3. The 1911's have a grip safety that would prevent an AD if the safety comes off.

With my CZ82 I carry condition 1 or 2. No way would I carry condition 3. I did in the beginning, but stopped after I noticed that the safety had come off a couple of times.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Don't forget, the OP's numbers are backwards - Cond 1 is cocked and locked and so forth...
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

rick9plus wrote:2. Magazine in. Safety off. Round in the chamber. DA trigger pull or manually cock the hammer to shoot.
That's what I carry when I take my 82 for a stroll. If there were multiple safety systems I might go for Condition 1 (cocked and locked), but the safety lever on the 82 is a bit too easy to flip from Safe to be the only manual safety I have to rely on.
jsmaye

Post by jsmaye »

primarchbentley wrote:
rick9plus wrote:2. Magazine in. Safety off. Round in the chamber. DA trigger pull or manually cock the hammer to shoot.
That's what I carry when I take my 82 for a stroll. If there were multiple safety systems I might go for Condition 1 (cocked and locked), but the safety lever on the 82 is a bit too easy to flip from Safe to be the only manual safety I have to rely on.
Really? Mine takes quite a bit of effort to remove from safe. It's not difficult, but it won't click off safe on its own.
Last edited by jsmaye on December 3rd, 2009, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.