P64 or SMC 918?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

chesster wrote:I bought 5 pair of grips panels years ago from GPC with the flat left, necessary as I am a southpaw.
No kiddin, thankfully SSMEWDI has them, I got several! I am wondering if there is a source for the following spare parts for the SMC/R61 series:

1- recoil spring
2- hammer spring
3- trigger spring
4- whatever spring it is that locks the safety selector into place

I'm willing to bet 3 and 4 from the PA-63 will fit. Pretty sure 1 and possibly 2 are unique to the SMC-918
pshootr

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by pshootr »

I think all the springs will interchange between the PA-63 and the SMC-918 except for the recoil spring.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by normsutton »

PshootR wrote:I think all the springs will interchange between the PA-63 and the SMC-918 except for the recoil spring.
PshootR

you are right , you can take the recoil spring and cut it to length, to fit a SMC ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

NORMSUTTON wrote:
PshootR wrote:I think all the springs will interchange between the PA-63 and the SMC-918 except for the recoil spring.
PshootR

you are right , you can take the recoil spring and cut it to length, to fit a SMC ,

NORM
Are you sure this is safe? If so, which poundage should one use and from which end should you cut it (since the springs only go on one way correctly)? Usually each end of the spring ends 'nicely' with an extra length of ring like these:

but cutting one end short would remove one of those 'nice' endings and just a 'nub' at the end (for lack of a technical term).
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by normsutton »

southpaw

get the 15 Lb cut one coil longer at the big end heat that one coil to a cherry red then press it down on something the won't burn and just air cool ,you have finished end on the spring
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

NORMSUTTON wrote:southpaw

get the 15 Lb cut one coil longer at the big end heat that one coil to a cherry red then press it down on something the won't burn and just air cool ,you have finished end on the spring
NORM
Figured heating would be involved... I would have guessed the small (chamber) end as opposed to the big (muzzle) end, glad I asked! I also would have gone with the intermediate 13 lb. But I suppose with these guns its best to get the strongest spring, and if it causes malfunctions, go downward. Too weak a spring might really stress the alloy frame I suppose.

I will try this when I have some time, think I will have to get alot of springs in case I foul one up!

By the way, I assume that I can do something similar with the magazine springs (buy 10% extra powers from Wolff, cut to length as necessary). One problem I have is that my SMC-918 magazines have DIFFERENT length springs in them! I assume the best idea would be to go with the longest one as reference.
Last edited by southpaw on December 9th, 2009, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by pshootr »

I ordered the Wolff recoil spring for the Polish P-64 http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... D=1&mID=49 choosing the stiffest (22#) and trimmed it about 3/4 coil to fit.

I doubt that you need stiffer magazine springs.
Last edited by pshootr on December 15th, 2009, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by normsutton »

southpaw

as PshootR said (I doubt that you need stiffer magazine springs)

I completely agree with him ,just keep the mag clean , the mag spring's will last for 50 to 60 years, I have some WWII 45 auto GI mag's that work prefect and they have never had the springs changed in them , and I keep them loaded,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage