Marschal CZ82 Wood Grip caution

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I bought a set of Marschal walnut grips for my CZ82 last year. Really liked them a lot...I liked the way they looked, and the way they felt.
I didn't shoot my CZ82 much since I put them on...about 100 rounds of Silver bear.
After my last range trip a week ago, I discovered a vertical crack on the right panel from the top edge of the grip down to the screw. Looking at the wood grip after I re-installed the OEM plastic grips, the wood panel is egg shell thin...I shouldn't have been surprised it cracked.
Nothing against Denis Marschal, his grips were beautifully made and finished. It is the design of the CZ82 that makes the grips so thin.
Really bums me out...The wood was just beautiful...deep grain that changed appearance depending on the light angle.
GRRRRH.
Last edited by amd6547 on July 17th, 2009, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
electross

Post by electross »

Mine did the same thing, this was a year ago. The grips looked good but they were thin. The CZ 82's magazine stack causes the grip to be larger. To make the wood so it wouldn't crack would mean the grip would get wider. Thats all I can figure. He does stand behind his product and will replace them. I did not do the exchange. At one time CZ had wood grips for sale and I was chasing those for a month or so. I talked to the sales rep and he said they took theirs off the market due to defects. They probably had the same thing going on as Dennis.
oakchas

Post by oakchas »

Yes, I would think they would be thin in wood... unless you could use the epoxy impregnated woods (that don't look much like wood at all) that they use for turned pens.

That's why I asked about ZEE grps for CZ vz. 82s

I've noticed too, that if you re install the standard grips (too) tightly... that the mag does not want to pop out, you have to pull it... this is apparently a function of the two vertical strips on the insides of the grips...

I'm looking for grip alternatives... for the CZ.
raz

Post by raz »

I had the same issue....cracked the same place. Dennis replaced them. I'll see if the new set holds.
raz
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Guys, another thing you can do is buy stabilized hardwoods and send whatever size that Dennis needs to make your grips. My friend up in Vermont owns a custom hardwood business and some of his stabilized hardwoods are so exellent that you would not believe that they are impregnated with epoxy resins.

There are many companies out there that also make stabilized hardwood for knife makers, etc. Google stabilized woods and you would be amazed. My father used to make custom muzzle loading rifles and the hardwoods he used really set off the browned barrels, locks and nickle silver hardware he used. He even bedded the barrels with the microbed epoxy.
Sgt P.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Like I have said before, Dennis is a stand up guy and if you tell him by e-mail or otherwise he will replace them. He has done it for me before. I have not had any problems with the new ones that I have.

Blinddog
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by martilyo »

Could it be caused by the type of wood used? I bought a set of Ash wood grips and have not had any cracking yet and I go to the range weekly.
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I think type of wood and orientation of grain could make a difference. In my case, the grips were walnut with vertical grain, and they cracked right along the grain. I don't really feel like trying to get Denis to replace mine.
I got tired of seeing them in my gun box, beautiful grain, crack, and all, and decided to run some crazy glue in the crack and see what happens. They are on my CZ82 right now.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
whitewizard

Post by whitewizard »

I just got a pair of grips from Dennis made of Bubinga. They look gorgeous. Before shooting the gun with them installed, I will be coating the inside of the grips with T-111 epoxy. It cleans up easily with vinegar, but once it's dry it's very strong.
whitewizard

Post by whitewizard »

I meant to say T-88 epoxy. Sorry folks.