PA-63 and P-64?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

K, I'm new to the boards, I've mostly registered in hopes someone can show me a few pictures of these two pistols side by side.

I've done my reading, and I know most of the stuff about hard triggers, stiff recoil, aftermarket springs and whatnot.

I'm looking to buy one of them in the next month or so, and I'm looking for some help deciding.

The PA-63 has the extra round, the button mag release, and is bigger.... How much bigger? (I REALLY want a side by side picture.)

The P-64 has that screwy European magazine well mag release. Don't like the idea of that, but it's also smaller....

Now, I'm looking for a carry gun here. I just moved to Savannah Ga, and it is so hot down here I can't manage a cover garment like I could just a little north in Atlanta. My purpose for this weapon, whichever it is, is to load it with something nasty, like frangibles, and pop goblins in the stomach at fistfight range. I'm not hoping to engage in pistol sniping or extended gunplay, or even much target shooting.

What's important really is something I can hide in a pocket or IWB under a thin T-shirt.
tooldawg99

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by tooldawg99 »

P64 is shorter in barrel length and grip, due to mag capacity.

Savannah sucks: I will never live there again, humidity will choke you, and sand gnats will eat your skin off.

Check the www.surplusrifles.com web site for pics under the automatic pistols section for Czech pistols: i think there are pics there comparing the two guns.

FOr pocket carry, i know this company makes a nice pocket holster for the p64..others may fit that are for the PPK, but its trial and error as some fit, some dont.

http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-42.html

welcome to the board!
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

Heh. I like it down here! Sure the heat is intence, but once I get a Pocket pistol that won't be an issue.

As to said links, thanks!

Now, Did you mean this article?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp

?

I can't find anything there on the PA-63.

BTW, your link is a letter off, and I had to do a bit of hunting around for the site.

tooldawg99 wrote:P64 is shorter in barrel length and grip, due to mag capacity.

Savannah sucks: I will never live there again, humidity will choke you, and sand gnats will eat your skin off.

Check the www.surplusrifles.com web site for pics under the automatic pistols section for Czech pistols: i think there are pics there comparing the two guns.

FOr pocket carry, i know this company makes a nice pocket holster for the p64..others may fit that are for the PPK, but its trial and error as some fit, some dont.

http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-42.html

welcome to the board!
istbankodad

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by istbankodad »

Will this help
P-64 is not much smaller but a better gun I think. P-64 is what I carry.

Last edited by istbankodad on June 13th, 2009, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tooldawg99

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by tooldawg99 »

Sorry for the bad link: the wife was rushing me out the door.

That's not a bad article, but if you will go here;

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/

Scroll down to the Hungarian AUtomatic pistols section, and see what's there. Then you can go back to the main section and scroll down a few categories to the Polish Auto pistols section. Im sure there is a lot more info on those two boards.

I only wish that the heat and humidity in Savannah could have been solved by putting a pistol in my pocket! God bless you for living there, and please turn off the lights whenever you leave, as I don';t think too many others are planning to move into the closest replica of Hades on the planet earth.

Happy forum hunting! Plan to stay a while when you get to the surplus rifle forum: they have tons of info on pistols, too, and you won't want to leave anytime soon! ;D
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

stbankodad, that's a good pic. I'm hoping for something that doesn't have a perspective veiw though!

So if anyone has more, please post. In the meanwhile, I'm hunting over at the other forum.

Hope to hear more from you guys!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by normsutton »

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tooldawg99

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by tooldawg99 »

Nice addition, Norm!

How much thicker/wider do the wood grips make the P64? Do you find they fit your grip better with the thicker wood grips than the original factory plastic?

They look great: my only concern is to keep the gun as small as possible for CC, so adding wood grips pretty much defeats that purpose for me. I know the wood has to be pretty thick to take the beating dished out by the Makarov round.
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

Thanks norm! that's just what I was looking for. The P64 seems like it would be a good bit eaiser to pull out of a pocket.
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

Well, I found a local place with one of each.

I liked the size of the p64 better, but I find the pa-63 fits alot better in the hand.

Damnit. It's not an easy choice.
6x6pinz

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by 6x6pinz »

simple answer, get both:)
greysaber

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by greysaber »

6x6pinz wrote:simple answer, get both:)
It buy one get one free night at your local gunstore?
dwd

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by dwd »

seriously, get'm both. I have both and I don't know which one I like better. I'll bet you can get them both for less than one of a lot of other semi-autos.
Last edited by dwd on July 14th, 2009, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

There are lots of PA-63 around and it would be my first choice just because I shoot it better than the P-64. I also appreciate the thumb grip and extra round that the PA-63 affords. How ever many prefer the flat grip and shorter barrel length of the P-64 and they also find it is easier to use with a IWB concealed carry holster, no discomfort from the grip digging into a hipbone.
The P-63 does not seem to demand the higher price of the P-64, regardless they can both be purchased for less than $200.00 and those are bargain prices for these great pistole's. If you are fortunate enough to find a R-61 I would jump on it as it is just accurate as either of the afore mentioned pistole's and much more easily concealed.
Just one mans thoughts.
G.R.
conscript47

PA-63 and P-64?

Post by conscript47 »

I own both, and I would go with the PA-63- although I have not shot my own 64 yet. The PA-63 fits my hands and points beautifully, and is also lightweight. My suggestion? Get the 63, get a Wolff recoil spring (max weight) and hammer spring (their middle option for weight) and install them. I you like the thumb rest, keep it, if not, there is a guy on GunBroker selling flat-sided original PA-63 grips for about $18 each.

Make sure you shoot the gun a lot before deciding on a self-defense load, you may need to polish the feed ramp some and its far better to find out when shooting targets than shooting for your life.