P64 parts availability and PA-63

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Good morning all,

I have noticed from reading this board that most parts for the P64 that seem to wear out appear to be available either from one of our members or a known outside source. That being said, I have a limited budget and space issue and am going to purchase another 9x18. I was thinking of another P64 to use for parts. I also thought about getting either a PA-63 or real Russian Makarov. With your vast experiences, what would you recommend?

Thanks
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I don't have either a Makarov, or a PA-63, so couldn't tell you. I don't see how you could go wrong with another P-64. I'm really looking at buying my first CZ-82 though. But, it it darn sure won't be from someone local, unless it's a private owner. But, you just don't see them for sale. Which means either people really don't know about them, or the people that DO have them hang on to them. Maybe a little of both. I think what throws the average guy is the 9x18 mak round it'self. They don't know anything about it,so they're afraid to buy. They're stuck on the Ol' tried and true guns and ammo .38,.357, .40, and .45, .380 and 9mm para. All the local stores, with one exception do nothing but bad mouth some of these weapons. They don't understand you can tune them to fit your needs. I've had a sales guy try to get me to ditch the P-64 for a Glock or a Sig. Good weapons, if you can afford them. I'm not made of money. The things I buy, have to be durable, and most of all WORK, I'm buying for a reason, and it's not to collect. If I can find something that looks good too, or I can make it look sharp that's gravy, then I'm ahead of the game.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

There are no spare parts suppliers for the P-64 that I know of. Norm Sutton does make some springs and or knows someone who does. You can send him a PM and he can tell you what he can,or can't do. I can't speak for him. Trust me, people swap information here like the common cold, no one plays "I've got a secret" or talks down at you here here.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks for the reply. I have seen PA-63s and a couple of Makarovs for sale at a couple of online stores. My local vendor does have P64s in stock but they are a little pricey at a sale price of $199.99 regular $224.99. I found a source online that sells them for $159.95 or 154.95 if you buy two or more. Then of course they still have to be shipped to my local vendor since he has an FFL. I have not asked how much he charges, if anything, for having the guns shipped to him.
FWI, if anyone is interested, I found a source for the PA-63. It sells for $179.95. If you can find a Makarov, the going rate for them is about $150 to $200.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

After doing some more research, the availability of the PA-63 seems to be slim to none. I think I will get another P64 and keep it for my spare carry. My current P64 is a 1975 model.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

ogdengunner, PA-63's, Centerfire systems has em' $ 159.99. Just looked it up, get em' while they're hot. I guess.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks rottenrick,

I'll check them out.
jsmaye

Post by jsmaye »

I also thought about getting either a PA-63 or real Russian Makarov.
Makarovs are almost non-existent anymore. PA-63s can still be found. So can CZ vz-82s.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks to rottenrick and jsmaye for your responses. I just left the centerfire systems website. The PA-63 is listed as out of stock and no backorders accepted. I already gave up on Makarovs. At this point, I have already decided that another P64 is the way to go. If I can find a CZ-82 along the way, fine. And jsmaye, if you know a source for the PA-63, could you let me know where? I have tried an open Internet search. J&G has none, of course, Centerfire is out and my local FFL dealer, Impact Guns has none in stock.

Thanks
ern

Post by ern »

hey ogdengunner, i dont know where you are but i know shooters in jax fl has the pa-63, regular price is 249 but they got them on sale for 149. i just got 1 tuesday. you might check to see if they do mail order. they had like 8 or 9. just google shooters jax fl. good luck and let us know if you were successful.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

ern, PA-63 Century Arms has them listed, DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE BACK ORDERED OR NOT.
jsmaye

Post by jsmaye »

And jsmaye, if you know a source for the PA-63, could you let me know where?
CDNN shows them in their .pdf catalog, but I don't know if they actually have them in stock. They seem to be drying up, too. I actually have better luck with these at gun shows and pawn shops.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

I checked CDNN. Theystilll show both the PA-63 and the CZ-82 listed
in their online catalog. I will have to call them when I am ready to buy in a couple of weeks to see if they still have them in stock. If not, I know there are more P64s out there.

ogunner