changing PA-63 springs

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
srad

changing PA-63 springs

Post by srad »

just bought a PA-63 last week; $201.00 OTD from our local gun shop; a little high but after you add in s&h and transfer fees when ordering online the price worked out to be the same.

cleaned it & took it right to the range... great pistol!

purchased and installed a #15 recoil and #9 hammer spring & hope to take it to the range again today to see the difference.

My question though is... do I have to install the firing pin spring that came with the #15 recoil spring or can I leave in the original firing spring. Will the new recoil spring affect the proper functioning of the original firing spring?

Thanks.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

changing PA-63 springs

Post by normsutton »

srad

no, I have a bunch of them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
srad

changing PA-63 springs

Post by srad »

Thanks. Love your collection by the way... and enjoy reading your posts on this board and others.

Long live the 9x18
tman11787

changing PA-63 springs

Post by tman11787 »

SRAD

How did your spring swap turn out..? I have a "new to me" PA-63 on it's way and would like your feedback on this spring cimbo. Thanks !

Tman11787
srad

changing PA-63 springs

Post by srad »

worked out fine. very easy to change both the recoil (obviously) and the hammer spring following online directions. Didn't change the firing pin spring per Norman's advice.

Changed them out last week and finally made it to the range today. Recoil is better, but it really didn't bother me in the first place (6' 6" & 310 lbs. with paws for hands). The main reason I stiffened up the recoil was so the slide doesn't slam back as much on the aluminum frame when running rounds through the gun.

Went with the 9# hammer spring and that made a HUGE difference in DA. No problem striking the primers for Brown Bear, Hornady XTP, and Fiocchi ammo. No FTF's through about 120 rounds today.
tman11787

changing PA-63 springs

Post by tman11787 »

Thanks for the feedback! Enjoy...
odonoma

changing PA-63 springs

Post by odonoma »

tman11787-

I also did the spring swap in my PA-63. Though I did not have the Norm advice of not having to switch out the firing pin spring. I wish I had, that was the worst part. Switching the springs made a world of difference to me. I love it. I do not consider myself to be very mechanically inclined and was still able to do it with relative ease. Good luck and happy shooting.

Mark
tman11787

changing PA-63 springs

Post by tman11787 »

Mark and the rest,

Finished the the spring swap (15# recoil and 9# hammer) on the PA-63. You're all right on the money. What a difference...! "Like budder"... as they say in New Yuck. Smooth but crisp! You guys are the best. Thanks !
richymak

changing PA-63 springs

Post by richymak »

I ended up using the 15 lbs. recoil (which tamed the sting) and the #11 lbs hammer spring cause I had some light strikes with the #9 spring.I did use the firing pin spring that came with the recoil pack. plus I cleaned and lubed the FP channel and the extractor when I changed it.
I love the way it is now.

Rich
Last edited by richymak on May 25th, 2009, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.