PA-63 Safety/Decocker Problem

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

I have a problem with the safety/decocker on my 2nd PA-63. It works fine as long as there is no round chambered. Once I chamber a round, when I try to decock it, the hammer simply will not lower. I know it's not a frame problem because when I move my older slide to the new frame, it works perfectly. If I move the new slide to my old frame, it won't decock when a round is chambered either.
Any ideas?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

shinerjohn

the only thing I can think of right now is the extractor not letting go in to full battery, you may have to take the extractor out and clean it
are you loading the round from the mag, do not drop round in the chamber and then close the slide always feed from the mag
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Hey Norm
I always load from the mag. I never drop a round into the chamber.
Once I confined the problem to the slide and found that it worked fine unless a round was chambered, I thought perhaps topping it off ( 7 + 1 ) was the problem. But it won't decock with a round chambered even if the magazine is removed.
I didn't change the firing pin spring, so I haven't removed the extractor yet. I'll take a look at that tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. If anything else crosses your mind, let me know. This puppy has a full one year warranty on it but I'd rather get 'er fixed myself.
Thanks again, my friend!
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Apparently it's not the extractor. I removed it and cleaned it and the channel it fits in really well. No change. It wasn't very dirty. Occasionally, the decocker will work with a chambered round. I bought this particular pistol from CDNN in "new, test fired" condition. There was not a ton of cosmoline on it, but I cleaned it good anyway.
This pistol may be like many new "modern" pistols: it may need to be broken in. I'm considering soaking the slide in automatic transmission fluid for 48 hours, cleaning it up, and shooting the hell out of it! Maybe a minimum of 200 rounds to see if it loosens up and comes around.
What do you think?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

shinerjohn

sounds like a plan , you could also put some graphite on the safety to help wear in

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Another clue I forgot to mention..... I used Silver Bear 94gr JHP and S&B FMJ when the pistol malfunctioned. I tried it last night with snap-caps and it worked fine!
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

After about 400 rounds and still having the problem, I called CDNN last Friday. Told them of the problem and they are sending shipping tags to my FFL. Now THAT is what I call a Full Warranty! It won't cost me anything except possibly an FFL transfer fee. CDNN said they would test a replacement pistol before they ship it.
CDNN knows how to please customers!
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

CDNN did indeed replace the malfunctioning PA-63. The new one works fine and may be even prettier!!! CDNN = Customer Service Deluxe!