Wolf Springs

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
chaos321

Wolf Springs

Post by chaos321 »

I just changed the springs in my PA-63 per Norms tutorial. It went pretty smooth, and I found that the firing pin spring was broken when I took it apart. I used the 15# recoil spring and the 9# hammer spring along with the new firing pin spring. The trigger pull was cut in half and really made things a lot better. BUT, the recoil wasn't any better. Could that be due to the aluminum frame or something else? I read that the 15# spring took a lot of the recoil out but it didn't seem to change. I even pulled out my Taurus PT-111 9mm to confirm the difference and it made my Taurus fell like shooting a 22, which is nice because I love that gun. I do however, want to love the PA-63. Any advice?
pshootr

Wolf Springs

Post by pshootr »

Both the recoil spring and the hammer spring help to absorb recoil energy as they are compressed by the cycling of the slide. The recoil spring is compressed directly by the slide's backward movement and the hammer spring is indirectly compressed as the slide forces the hammer back, which in turn compresses the hammer spring.

By going to a heavier recoil spring and a lighter hammer spring the two changes is spring forces may have balanced themselves out.

What is the heaviest recoil spring that Wolff makes for your PA-63? You could always try that.
chaos321

Wolf Springs

Post by chaos321 »

I think it is the 15# that I used. They have 3 different hammer springs so maybe I'll get the other two and experiment!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolf Springs

Post by normsutton »

PshootR wrote:Both the recoil spring and the hammer spring help to absorb recoil energy as they are compressed by the cycling of the slide. The recoil spring is compressed directly by the slide's backward movement and the hammer spring is indirectly compressed as the slide forces the hammer back, which in turn compresses the hammer spring.

By going to a heavier recoil spring and a lighter hammer spring the two changes is spring forces may have balanced themselves out.

What is the heaviest recoil spring that Wolff makes for your PA-63? You could always try that.
PshootR
is right about that , it balances out the gun , and a great explanation

it may change the so called feel of the recoil to more of a strait back felt recoil not by much. the best way I found to change the felt recoil is to put a pair of DENNIS full size grips on the PA-63

http://www.marschalgrips.com/

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
chaos321

Wolf Springs

Post by chaos321 »

I'm looking at those now. Thanks for the tip!