S&W 1917 45acp

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

S&W 1917 45acp

Post by papabear »

Its been a while since I've posted on one of my favorite milsurp collections , I had this one [1917 S&W] lettered from S&W by Sim Supica showing its DOB was Aug 1918, it probably never saw action in WW I, the holster is a G&K 1917. The lanyard is also of 1917 vintage as is the half moon clip three pocket pouch, the field manual is from Camp Wheeler in Georgia dated 1941, for the Colt and S&W, the 45acp ammo is from the Evansville, IN arsenal and dated '43 The reason for the half moon clips was to speed up reloading and extracting the spent cases, however, the moon clips doesn't have to be used, the cartridges can be fired with out the moon clips but it does take a while to extract the spent case from the cylinder, at the range I use a wooden dowel rod to eject the cases because the half moon clips I have are WW I vintage and I don' want to break them either by loading the clips or extracting the spent cases from the clips.

Image]
wyo-man

Re: S&W 1917 45acp

Post by wyo-man »

Very, very nice.
Wish I would have acquired one of those when they were inexpensive and plentiful.

Have you tried .45 AR (auto rim)?
A .45 acp with a rim for extraction without moon clips.

wyo-man
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

wyo-man,

No I haven't but I've heard 45 auto rim works great. I don't shoot the 1917 very much, usually just when I get a hankering for the days gone by. Its really fun to shoot and accurate too, but this one is mostly a safe queen so when I do shoot it its not a problem punching out the brass with the wood dowel.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

papabear, you could maybe get some more clips here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =242356411

Believe Numrich is the seller... If you wanted to have some that you could permanently use so you wouldn't ruin the originals. They don't look terribly expensive. You could give them a shot... FWIW.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Appreciate the info, I have some repo half moon clips and a few new full moon clips, I just don't care for um anymore, what little I shoot the 1917 its just not worth it to me to us them but thanks anyway.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

SA-WEET!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Too cool, Papa. I love that 45!
coolbob

Post by coolbob »

Very nice! Those guns are just beautiful and yours looks to be in excellent condition.