My 1911

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

My 1911

Post by dfunk »

I bought this thing near the beginning of March and have had the pleasure of wringing it out several times at the range, both indoors and outdoors. It's been carried almost daily in an IWB I made for it, and is super easy to hide. It's my favorite for sure.

Anyway, we were going to the range Saturday, so I took a few quick shots before we left. I'm posting here simply because I know how much you guys like pics. Top is my Colt Combat Elite and bottom is my bro's Kimber Clack. Both performed flawlessly.

Enjoy!

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: My 1911

Post by papabear »

DF,

Outstanding, and good photography, if I had a choice I'd take the Colt over the Kimber, but I would have to sell off a few of my keepers to arrange that, and as I told you before when you got your Colt, I am considering doing just that. Its hard to let go of guns that are a part of you and have been with you for years. In retrospect, the only gun for sure I would not sell or trade is my '43 Remington Rand that was passed down to my from my dad that carried it overseas, all else are expendable, well almost expendable, well, crap, here I go againImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Thanks, Papa!
That Kimber is a real sweetheart and the only thing it needs, in my opinion, is a new front sight. Still, the Colt wins me over due to the undercut front strap and it's perfect balance. It's been carried and shot very often and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Like you said, I did have to part with a few old friends, but in the end it was totally worth it and I'd make the same decision again in a heartbeat.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

love the photos ,of course the subjects are not too shabby..
Don Bennett

Post by Don Bennett »

Reading Papabear's post above about his '43 Remington Rand .45 made me do some research on mine. Turns out it's got a lower that falls into this batch of Remington Rand’s S/N 1890504-2075103 and I've got two uppers that are both Ithaca Gun Co so it'll be a bit harder to date them. I kept one upper original and had my old Group Armorer trick both the lower and the other upper. Man this gun fires great and chambers everything I feed it. Any ideas on how to date an upper receiver? Oh ya, it has, what I asume , is a marking from the Anniston Arery Depot "ANA D 3 75" above the triger so the mix match frame and slide would be common.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Don,

Yes, your RR frame is a 1944, as for the slide it really hard to find any info on any of them, all the WWII slides/uppers only had the manufactures name and address. There are 3 types of markings for most it not all.

For Remington Rand:
Type 1: SN 916405 - approx. 955000 spells out New York.
Type 2: SN 927000 - 1015000 the stamping runs the length of the slide.
Tyoe 3: SN980000 - to end of production small markings, shorter than slide stop.

I'd have to research for the Ithaca slides to identify its type, but if memory serves me, most it not all the manufactures followed the above types the difference being the SN's. Type 1 being early, and so forth. but I don't have any SN's info for Ithaca.
Don Bennett

Post by Don Bennett »

Thanks Papabear, it's always nice to know from where you favorite piece came from. I also have a beauty of an old Webley Mk IV that I keep as a house gun. Both are great to shoot and considering their ages are in great shape.