Winchester Model 94 Butt Cover

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Winchester Model 94 Butt Cover

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm thinking about doing this. I generated these pictures up using various pictures off the internet and editing them with Microsoft Digital Image Suite. Anyway, what do you all think? It won't do anything for the functionality / recoil, just for cool factor. This will all be tooled into the leather. I'm sure someone out there would like one for a Win '94. I'll have to see how difficult they are to make and decide if I want to make more or not. Looks like a trip to the store to get some eyelets. Somehow the whip got deleted from the rider's hand, oh well.
Attachments
winchester butt pad 1.jpg
winchester butt pad 3.jpg
Don Bennett

Re: Winchester Model 94 Butt Cover

Post by Don Bennett »

I like it, and just so happens I have a '94, let me know how much. Anymore good ideas?
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

A butt cover for an SKS might be cool. Maybe a leather version of the Soviet 'Dog Collar' sling would be good too. A chest mounted pistol holster. They used to have one in the CTD catalog. Now all they have is one for a Taser. Something you could put a ttc-33, HI-PWR, or 1911??
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Well, I decided to experiment. I made a refrigerator magnet. It's too small to be a coaster or anything else. Looks like I can probably make the butt cover. Certainly a bigger picture would be easier to do, more whacking with the tools, but not such fine edges and corners. The leather dye is certainly hard to use in these tight spots, so an Ultra Fine tip Sharpie did the trick!

You can click on the pictures to make them bigger.

Enjoy!
Attachments
P4210211small.JPG
P4210214small.JPG
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I think you did an outstanding job!
I think the cover would look more even if you reduced the space between the eyelets just enough to add a sixth one.

I attached a vector of the logo so you can scale it up.
Winchester.eps
(254.71 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Well, I got it made. Maybe not exactly everything I thought it would be and more, but it's definitely good I think. I tried and tried to make the buttplate cover cap piece. I couldn't do it. I had asked the feller at http://www.levergunleather.com how he makes his. He said he has a form and stretches it I guess. Well, that was virtually impossible for me and I don't have the equipment for it, so I just made mine be on the inside and would only cover most of the buttplate, just not the very top and the very bottom. I didn't think whacking the letters and horse/rider in was too bad. The longest part was figuring out that buttplate cap. Click on the pictures to view them larger. Did I do alright?
Attachments
Overall view.
Overall view.
Butt view, cover only covers part of the butt plate.
Butt view, cover only covers part of the butt plate.
View of the cover itself.
View of the cover itself.
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

I think it looks darn good! I like your fix for the buttplate portion of the cover.

I'll post a pic when I can, as a buddy made a buttstock cartridge carrier sleeve for my '94 Trapper. However, it wants to creep forward as there isn't anything to prevent it from slipping. I'm going to try some beeswax on the stock to provide some grip, but your idea looks like a good permanent fix.

NRA Life Member

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

If he's still around, I'm sure he could concoct a leather piece and stitch it on. The stitching doesn't have to go all the way around, I just did it for decoration. It could start and stop just for each side. If you don't want to go that route, you could probably get a small piece of that non-slip drawer liner stuff. That may work. I'm not sure about beeswax, never messed with it other than putting it on a bowstring. Thanks for your comment Ken.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I made another one just for the heck of it. This one is Lt. Brown. I must say I think I prefer the Saddle Tan over it. If I had used maybe a regular or a Dk. Brown, then those might have looked a bit better but I'm not sure. When the dye is still wet, it looked too dark and I was relieved when it started drying and became its actual color. Anyway, attached are photos of this one on my dad's Winchester 94AE .45 Colt rifle. Click on them to view them bigger.
Attachments
win94ae.jpg
win94ae2.jpg