'28 91/30 Tula
'43 91/38 Tula
'45 91/44 Tula
'44 91/59 Tula
'51 SKS Tula

halljt3

Re: Mosin Nagant Rifles

Post by halljt3 »

Nice collection papabear, thanks for sharing.
camekanix

Post by camekanix »

I loves me Mosins...

These are older photos. My collection has changed somewhat.
P64, CZ82, CZ52 x2, Hi-points, tt33, and many Mosins in a pear tree.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

camekanix, that bottom one is interesting. I saw another post elsewhere on the internet where you had this one on there.

papabear, what is the use of wall-hanging, non-shooting guns? ;) Just teasing!

I've posted pictures of mine on here elsewhere, but I'll put them on here anyway.

I was originally looking for an M38 and could not find one at the gun shows. So, I gave up and bought the 1931 91/30 as a substitute. Anyway, I found an M38 and I have a life-long friendship with the seller. Since I bought the M38, I began a sporterization process on my 91/30 and that's how it turned out, as shown above. It's really nothing original, a lot of folks have done the same thing. I the barrel cut down about 4 inches. This was to make it more of a standard length and to get rid of the counter-bore. A friend of mine cut it on his lathe and crowned it. This is what it looks like. The cartridge holder on the stock and the sling are cheesy, I know... they're not on that rifle anymore.

He also drilled the holes on the action for the scope mount on his mill. He did this all for free just to see if he could do it. Heck of a nice guy.

This is the 1943 M38 that I bought... The scope mount and bolt handle were already modified when I bought it.

I am proud of that gun. I like the size of it and just how it looks in general. It shoots good. It gets 1.75" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. The scope is a cheap little Osprey International 2.5x20 power scope. Well, I think that's pretty much it.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

The man reason I hang em on the wall is my converted BTW, there is a difference between a "Collection" and a "Accumulation"..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
camekanix

Post by camekanix »

I agree papabear, I have traded a few of the rifles in the 1st pic for others. I now have 2 M38's, 2 34 Hex 91/30's (1 each from Tula and Izhevsk) and a 1925 ex dragoon. I do still have the cut down, scoped, bubba'd M44 above and another Tula 91/30 that is in the process of being scoped and is in a laminated tactical stock from richards. My tastes have matured slightly but now I do need an original M-44 again just to have one. I do shoot all mine though.
P64, CZ82, CZ52 x2, Hi-points, tt33, and many Mosins in a pear tree.
smbob

Post by smbob »

I like Mosin's. I think once people get their first one they get a case of Mosinitis and have to get more of them. :lol:
I have a 91/30 that I put a S&K scout mount on with a 4X32mm Simmons pistol scope. It's pretty accurate with
203gr Silver Bear SP ammo. Around 1.5" at 100 yards from the bench. Good enough to hunt with.

I also have a laminated stock M44 that I like a lot. I'm going to have to scope it one of these days.

Without a doubt my absolute hands down 1000% favorite Mosin is the Finnish M39. This baby shoots
the light out! Every bit as accurate as my K31 Schmidt/Rubin. I own 2 Sako M39's I'm going to scope
one of them. They are real tack drivers.

I have only shot surplus and some Silver Bear comercial through them. I want to reload for them someday soon.

Robert
kansas

Post by kansas »

I see the 91-30s are back I don’t have any these though thinking of grabbing a couple just to have. One ad had them for around $69, saw 2 cases of them at a gun show they wanted 99+tax. What would be a good deal on one these and is ammo readily available for them?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

kansas,

$99 + tax really isn't that bad of a deal by far. The $69 would be a real good deal though. However, you should really look any prospective rifle over well. It may help if you invest in a headspace gauge to put in the chamber to verify the gun is still going to lock up tight. MidwayUSA sells them. The bores should be checked over nicely as well to make sure you're not getting one in lousy condition. Ammo is extremely easy to find. Almost any reputable gun store would have it and online is even better for bulk. You can buy the old mil-surp crap for about $100 for 440 rounds. It is corrosive though and I rarely shoot it as I don't like to have to immediately clean my gun when returning from the range. Typically I just shoot the brown bear stuff. It used to be super cheap but the current rate for brown bear is about $8.19 / box of 20 from ammunitiontogo.com. < Pretty good company to deal with. Widener's sells the 440 round mil-surp cans for pretty cheap, however, after shipping it still comes out to around $100.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

$99 isn't bad, but $69 is very good if they aren't junk.
Found an M39 at a local gun store. Almost went back and got it. Those MN's are so addictive.
I need to build up my P64 collection first.
dom

Post by dom »

Nice looking collection Papa!
I'm up to seven now (2 91/30s, 4 M38 laminates, and a 1945 M44).
Last winter, just for kicks, i did a side by side shooting comparsion with the M44 and 91/30 at 50 yards. I did slightly better w/ the long rifle, but both shot pretty well using Bulgarian LB. Not the best shooting i know, but about as well as i can do nowadays w/ 57yr. old eyes.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I really love the way that Finnish M39 looks, I'd love to have one. That satin stock and the barrel bands make it look slick.
smbob

Post by smbob »

For M39 Finns check out SOG. Sako M39's run around $259 and Valmet M39's run around $239. M39 finns
aren't cheap, but once you get your hands on one you will see that they are totally worth the extra $. The
quality, fit, finish, and the workmanship is just miles ahead of the Russian Mosins.

Robert
aj84

Post by aj84 »

So I have Mosin Fever now.

Top to Botton
Finnish M39 / 42 / B (barrel M39s were assembled post war)
Soviet M44 / 44 / Izhevsk

Got them locally,
Had a great time, shooting both weapons.
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

dom,

Very nice pic's and Mosin Nagant's, btw one of my rest's is the same as yours in the pic, I like it because it comes with a pistol attachment so it a good rest for both rifle and pistol. I agree with your results of comparison of the two, and all of my 91/30's are more accurate than my carbines MN, and it seems my M39's are even more so, mainly IMO due to the Finn barrels and the adjustable front sights.

aj84,

Nice collection of MN's and your choice [I'm guessing here] of your first two are the same as my first two that started my collection of MN's.

This is a old pic for my first M39