A question for you all...and maybe a favor

Place for info and feedback/suggestions on the website or forum.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

So, my wife and I have 2 Boston Terriers - Frank and Ollie. Over the past 1-2 years (about their life span thus far), we've both grown extremely fond of the breed, and of course, them. So it was only fitting that Mrs. dickfunk decided to make a forum dedicated to these guys; the breed that is. After being presented with the question "What makes a successful forum?", I had to turn to the people that know best.

What does make a successful forum? Of all the places out there, why do you guys keep coming back here?

I'd really appreciate the input, as I'd love to see her project get off the ground and become as great a place as this is. Thanks guys.

www.thebostonterrierforum.com/forum

(p.s. The favor - if you guys have Boston's OR ANY breed of dog, I'd really appreciate it if you would leave a post on her board - it would mean more than you know. Who knows - maybe our wives can become friends and we can shoot! 8-))
Last edited by dfunk on November 2nd, 2007, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

I'm there, representing the gun toters!

Bobby J.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

This looks like a good start for a great forum. Guns and gun people are the greatest. The same is true for dogs and dog people!
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I don't have any dogs, but here are my forum thoughts:

1. It should be active - some posts every day.
2. Encourage active, polite, informative, knowledgable members
3. Have active moderators who quash trolls.
4. Provide good information.
5. Make it easy to navigate.

Good luck!
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

DF,

I like this board for so many reasons.....but here are a few of the high points:

1. The board has a defined motif or theme (P64), but also has a section for gun owners to discuss any other firearms without fear of upsetting the owner/moderators.

2. Basically all of the members here are pretty down to earth gun lovers, who exhibit politeness, courtesy, and the general desire to help fellow members with advice/knowledge. There is a lot of encouragement here when members post problems with gun related fixes, or refinishing projects.

3. You (the owner) and abwehr (moderator) are great guys. I've seen some question why you guys don't post more. I know from PM's with abwehr on Mauser questions that he is out of town a lot. I personally think that it's great that you guys don't always police this board like the gestapo. So many forums have moderators or owners that it seems are just looking to be able to move someones post, or jump on them for breaking some insignificant childish rule. It's great that you guys let this forum roll, and don't act all holier than thou.

4. I guess it's just luck of the draw that this forum has great members. It really is pretty neat that you have guys from all age groups....young (early 20's) to....well.....older guys that just get along and have such great common interests.

The members really do make the forum:

Norm has practically held my hand through the monitor to help with an SKS project.

Carguy actually mailed me the up-to-date forms for C&R application.

Abwehr has PM'd me with more Mauser knowledge than I could find at the library.
Last edited by volfandan on November 6th, 2007, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

We don't have pets but I've often said that if I ever did get a dog, it would be a Boston Terrier. I don't like large dogs or wimpy ones, Bostons are neither.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Fellas - I thank you kindly.
doyle

Post by doyle »

I can't tell you specifically what makes a good forum, but I admire your taste in dogs. I've got one Boston myself currently and have had half a dozen over my lifetime.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Bostons are the most faithful and protective dogs I've ever met. My dad's dog named MIA is a wonderful girl. He had a male named FISH and Fish would run circles around your feet and stop you and then he'd run ahead and check out the house and come back to let you know it was safe to keep walking. haha he was a real character. THEY FART LIKE CRAZY ! They can run you out of a room quickly ! lol I agree they are a fantastic version of the dawg world. here is my impersonation of a Boston Terrier~ Snort ,PFFFFTH , Snort, snort , PFFFFFTH. G
p64

Post by p64 »

The forum is short and small, you don't need to scroll for a half hour to see all the different sections and that's good.
drogers

Post by drogers »

The main page on this forum is the most user friendly. It has a good choice of colors so one can quickly scan the topics, when the last post was, and in what sections new posts occur. None of the other forums I go to have such an eye appealing design.
This forum is the best moderated I have seen. It offers area to get outside the original topic of the forum, but does not offer so many non-P64 areas as to lose the original focus.
This forum also has a unique niche, that was not filled elsewhere, the P-64.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

As other things have taken over, the wife's forum has been put on hold. I certainly appreciate every post in this thread - and the effort outside this forum. Thank you!
p64

Post by p64 »

The forum is short and small, you don't need to scroll for a half hour to see all the different sections and that's good.
+1
The members are also polite and helpfull.