Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
rtroha

Post by rtroha »

I bought a 3 pack of 18# springs and put two in both of my P-64's. They made a HUGE difference. I would have gone for the 16# but I heard of people having problems with the mag ejecting after firing the last round, and with the SA trigger pull being light as a feather. With the 18# it's perfect.
I put a 20 # spring in and I have the magazine ejection issue.
garyrwatson

Post by garyrwatson »

Thanks but this article tells you how to change spring but does not give specific on which spring and from whom. Pleaes help!
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Gary, it's all covered many times in previous posts. As a newbie, you really should start looking at a thread from the beginning.
There is a wealth of shared experience on this board, that will save you a lot of time and grief, but you have to do some reading.
That said, the mainspring that has been the most accepted is the Walther PP 16# from Gunsprings.com. Wolff P/N 25816. If you want to order toll free, it's 800-545-0077. About $4 plus shipping.
Welcome aboard,
Stan
autom8r

Post by autom8r »

I put my first 16 lb. Wolfe spring in today in about 10 minutes. It's a whole new and nice little powerhouse now.

Dave
jak47

Post by jak47 »

NOT handy but just changed out the springs on both my P64s with Wolff 16#; also have an 18# in the toolbox just in case I get light strikes, etc. For me making sure the hammer was not cocked helped a lot. At first I was all thumbs and scraped my knuckles, fired the spring across the room (wear glasses!) but just as I was about to give up it just seemed to all come together! T

The DA pull is now very manageable and I don't really see a lot of difference in the SA pull, which was fine to begin with. I've put about 100 rounds through the guns over two days without a hiccup using Win FMJ and Barnaul HP - sometimes in the same mag rapid fire !!

This gun will definitely see some CCW use in a Bianchi IWB I bought for it. IMHO, this is the best buy on the market for CCW. Now I wish I had one in .380!!!!

jAK-47
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

jak47,

I had to laugh at your spring changeout because this always happens to me. I am bad about losing springs that go flying off into "outer space" to never bee seen again. Plus, I get scraped knuckles, cut fingers, and usually a spring end sticks into my finger. Almost like combat, LOL

I should have a plastic bubble to do this type work where parts can fly off or fall to the floor.
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

Put in the 16# spring yesterday. Much improved over the stock trigger pull. I still need to go to the range and try it out. SA is still good, not to light.
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

UPDATE:
I went to the range today. I have to admit, I had to re-learn how to shoot the gun. On the very first shot, I did an acidental double tap. I had read about this and was even watching for it, but it still surprised me.
I thought at first that I would have to go back to the original spring, but after a few clips I began to get used to the light pull. I think a few more times at the range and I will be comfortable in carrying the gun as a CCW.
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Bkiles, my concern about the recommendations for mainspring exchanges on this forum is that no distinction is being made about the suitability of the modificated weapon for CCW and/or for range/target/plinking only. Concealed carry dictates surprises will not be tolerated - consider the following scenario:

It's Christmas time, the mall was crowded tonight and you were forced to park far from the stores. You are returning to your car, you are carrying some packages and your hands are cold because your gloves were left in the car. Suddenly you realize two men are approaching fast and they are armed. Is your CZAK reliable in your cold hands and with your elevated level of adrenalin - double taps?

My unintentional double tap with a CZAK occurred at the range, not on a balmy day, but when it was 42 degrees, a slight wind was blowing and I was wearing fingerless gloves. The CZAK was modified with a Wolff !8# mainspring. For me, this modification was not suitable for a concealed carry firearm.

I then exchanged the 18# for the original PPK spring from Wolff (20#) and shot an additional 200 rounds of which ONLY ONE had a light primer hit (it fired the second time). I have another, but unmodified CZAK that luckily has a decent DA/SA and has been completely functional thru over 600 rounds using both clips. Would you choose either CZAK for your concealed carry without further testing?
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

i JUST GOT A "rcbs trogger pull scale. I have replaced spring and polished as recommended. What trigger pull should I see for SA and DA????
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Depends on which spring you installed. My two are right around 3.25 lbs SA, with the 16# springs. DA breaks right at the 8# max on my RCBS Premium Trigger Pull Scale.
The 14# spring was about 3# SA, and the 17# was about 3.5#. The 16# spring gave me the combination I liked best with my guns. Keep in mind that this will vary some from pistol to pistol, and each individual will have personal "feel" preferences.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by b52stan on May 3rd, 2006, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Guys,

Thanks for posting the information on the "pull weight" with the new springs. Sounds like the 16# spring is a good compromise for SA vs. DA pull. As you stated "b52stan", each individual will have his own personal "feel" preferences as to the pull they want.

This is great information!
marktx

Post by marktx »

I put a 16# spring in but hadn't checked the pull weight till now. With the same guage as Stan SA was consistent 3# and DA went past 8# max of RCBS gauge. I have done nothing other than change the spring and have run about 500 rounds through it. I would just be guessing that the DA is 10or 12#. What ever it is it's a nice improvement.
Last edited by marktx on May 4th, 2006, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Personally, I have left all my P64's original, I don't have a problem with any of them in DA or SA as is. However, I let my son-in-law shoot one of my P64's at the range last week and he couldn't even pull the trigger in DA, so, I guess there is a need to change springs for some, but for me, I prefer the heavy pull especially for CCW. IMHO, the P64 was made the was it is for a purpose. At 21' I shoot 4" to 5" in DA and 2" to 3" in SA and for me that is all I am asking for from this little pistol, after all it's not a target pistol, but it does shoot good groups.
POINT SHOOTER
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

Might I suggest that we reference our trigger pull reports with the make/model of scale used. i use RCBS pREMIUM pULL sCALE. how abt a stickey for this?????