Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I'll try replace my mainspring also ( DA pull is really horrible. I dry fire my P64 20 times everyday only because it hurts my trigger finger (numbness) after 20 tiries). Hopefully I can do it by next month after the holidays.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

Just replaced the mainspring with the 16# Wolff that I got from Cruiser(thanks Cruiser for the quick mail). It certainly does make the DA pull much nicer. As I have not fired the first shot with the gun yet, I can't comment on anything else but it sure seems to be a neat gun for the money. Oh, I posted this earlier but after I put dolup of Tetra teflon grease on the safety and have worked it quite a few times, its very smooth and works slick. Easy to do one-handed now. Gonna try to get to the range this week and will give a report.
Tom
mongo

Post by mongo »

Got an email from Wolff tech support.

Full spring packs will be available first part of '06 including main spring, firing pin and recoil..

wootie woot!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

WooHoo,

Now I can replace the ones in mine with good springs and keep the originals for future use in the P-64 if any problems with the Wolffs
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

So..will the Wolff springs be the same rate as the originals or ???. If they are straight replacements, it still won't help with the trigger pull.
mongo

Post by mongo »

power springs
garrybuck

Post by garrybuck »

I did the Wolff PPK mainspring swap today. With all due deference to to Dickfunk's excellent instructions, I'd like to recommend a couple extra steps:

After you've got the grips off, cock the hammer, and you'll notice a small hole in the hammer strut, right where it pokes through the mag release. Put a small brad or pin through there, and drop the hammer. This will remove any pressure on the mag release pin, and it should slide right out.

It might be helpful to try the re-assembly step without the spring. It's easier to understand what you need to do if you're not in the middle of an Anaconda wrestling match.

Reinsert the hammer strut, slide the mag release over it, and insert the mag release into the frame. You'll notice a slot in the frame that the mag release drops into, that's what we're going for.

This time, do it with the spring. Once you've got the mag release seated in the slot in the frame, cock the hammer and drop your brad into the hole in the hammer strut. Once you're here, life is good, the spring isn't going anywhere. Drop the hammer, and you'll notice a small amount of "play" where the mag release sits in the frame. Wiggle it around into the right position, and the pin should press in under finger pressure. If you're needing to beat it with a hammer, it's misaligned, don't go there.

Remove the brad, install the grips, notice the little washer thingy that wasn't there before, tear the bloody thing apart and start all over again. grrrrr.....

On a scale of fun things to do, this was right up there with installing an extra strength Wolff recoil spring in an Astra 400! It's well worth the effort though. The 16 lb Walther mainspring, along with a thick coat of grease on both sides of the trigger bar make my DA pull at least as good as, if not better than most other DA autos I've tried.

My hat's off to whoever figured out the Walther spring swap. I think I've just found my new CCW pistol.
sandollor

Post by sandollor »

Any word from Wolff with what the spring package will include for the P-64?
saands

Post by saands »

Garrybuck: Great find on the tooling hole ... most difficult assemblies have some such feature, but I didn't even look for it when I was trying all of these ::) I guess I just assumed that the tooling was at the factory, not built into the design. Maybe I'll have to buy another one just to have an excuse to change another mainspring ;D

Saands
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Oops, put my last post on the wrong thread - should be here -swapped hammer springs - see "what's inside your P-64 holster" thread. Sorry for the mix-up.
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Re: Replacing the original spring with the 18# Wolff spring - Range results

(See my misplaced post as indicated above in this thread - maybe our moderator can please relocate, if possible, to this thread?)

The pistol operated without misfunction thru a box of S&B 95 gr FMJ, mostly firing DA to see if the trigger pull would get smoother, but no noticeable DA change thus far. While empyting a clip, it is now possible to get a tight grouping at 7 yds with all DA shots, although it takes time and concentration (10-13# pull with severe stacking at end).

The SA pull is too light, <2#, and I was really taken back when the pistol went off prematurely after firing the first DA shot. I don't remember putting my finger on the trigger that hard, but it was chilly and my hands were cold. In any case, this would not be my CCW setup by any stretch of the imagination! Obviously, not enough control in unexpected situations. I will either replace the original spring and enjoy target shooting in SA mode or experiment with the original PPK (20#) spring OR I probably will just wait and see what Wolff brings out as a P-64 tune-up pkg

Take heed - enough said.
valkyrie0002

Post by valkyrie0002 »

;DI replaced mainsprings in 3 P-64s with the PPK 16lb springs. DA is much improved but still firm and SA is a little lighter. The swap was simple and I left the washer/spacer in place.

The first time shooting in DA I also shot a quick 2nd round SA unintentionally. That was the only time it happened. Just remember to keep the trigger pulled back completely until you are ready to squeeze the next shot off. Once you get used to the pistol and the light SA it is a great little shooter. I was hitting a NRA 50' slow fire Pistol target every time from 50'. I was shooting a little low so I had to aim for the top of the bull.

I was shooting my reloads. 93gr meister RN and 2.4gr Red dot. Nice manageable load. These throw the brass a mile. ;D
Last edited by valkyrie0002 on December 27th, 2005, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega8omega

Post by omega8omega »

I will take the spring. please PM ot e-mail me with your adress, so I could send money.
Thank you

Stay safe
www.CZgrips.us
Last edited by omega8omega on December 28th, 2005, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
garrybuck

Post by garrybuck »

I went to the range today with my new 16 pound spring. Good news, DA is wonderful. Bad news, magazine kept falling out. Guess I gotta try the 18 pounder.

The prospect of wrestling that !@#$% spring again was frankly, depressing. I'm trying to picture some poor person on an assembly line wrestling these things together, with that monster original spring no less. I sez to myself, self, they've got to have some sort of machine for that. I'm guessing it would have to have a grabby thing on one end, a grabby thing on the other end, and the ability to mash things axially. What might that look like? A drill press?

Zing, out to the garage. Guess what, the mag release fit in the chuck, the other end in a vise, and changing springs is now a trivial task. WooHoo!!!
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Garybuck: See my earlier post on this thread about putting an 18# spring in my '75 P-64.

All functions were fine with the exception of a super light (<2#) SA trigger that strictly belongs in the target shooting category. I have a 20 oz trigger purposely on on a prairie dog rifle, but it is can be touchy and it is used around my hunting buddies under controlled circumstances.

I have ordered the original PPK spring (20#) from Wolff and will skip installing the 19# spring that came in the PPK pak. If this 20# configuration is not deemed safe for potential carry, then I will simply reinstall the original spring, enjoy shooting this accurate little pistol as Bortosz states, in its intended SA mode and be satisfied with it as part of my 9x18 collection.

By the way, I thought about using a vise, but I was able to push down on the spring assembly with a gloved thumb so that my wife could put a paper clip thru the tooling hole you discovered. Hopefully, this technique will work with the return to heavier springs - ugh!