Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Thanks, guys, for the message boards and advice. I just completed a 18# PPK spring chageover & the P-64 now smooth as can be. Love the gun, can't wait to break in the two new mags at the range. You guys are the best!
destrux

Post by destrux »

The Keltec P11 doesnt have a firing pin block, but the hammer is internal (except during the DAO pull, it appears out of the back of the slide for a moment), floats off the firing pin and weighs so little it doesnt have the inertia to hit the firing pin if dropped. A neat way to get around a firing pin block/safety. A few people from the ktog.org forums did drop tests on them and even from 30ft onto concrete the gun wouldnt discharge. I'm not sure why they went with a different design on the P32/P3AT, although, I guess theoretically it is better.

I put the 16 pound Wolff spring in today, the SA pull is a little lighter, DA pull is better.
The SA pull is about as nice as the 2.5lb pull on my .17HMR target rifle... well... except it has creep and overtravel, but what surplus gun doesn't. I guess it's probably around 3 lbs pull.
I'll test fire it this weekend and see how it goes. Overall I like the mod so far.

I was shooting 2" groups at 25 yards, SA, with Fiocchi FMJ. We'll see if this makes it any better.
Last edited by destrux on January 9th, 2007, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechanical1

Post by mechanical1 »

I appreciate the information that has been posted on this site. I just bought my P-64 a couple of weeks ago, and you guys have really helped me out already. I just installed the 18# main spring last night and tried it out. It's a different gun!
mechanical1

Post by mechanical1 »

I just shot 50 rounds of Wolf ammo through my P-64 and had 8 misfires with the 18# main spring. I then shot 50 rounds of Remington ammo and had no misfires. I either had a bad batch of Wolf ammo, or the gun is ammo sensitive. Regardless, I'll just buy the better ammo and enjoy the lighter trigger.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I just got my P-64 today and put a box of S&B thru it in SA mode. Shoots great, but has a real lite SA trigger. I Can't wait to change the spring so that I can shoot DA.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I was in LE for 22 years, security for about 10. On some of my security jobs, they get real nervous with a cocked/locked pistol, so then I carry hammer down.

Truth, you woke me up, I really don't need a DA on the P-64, I can do it, but I can also cock it as I draw. Thanks for waking me up.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

grayfox

I think that little devil is appropriate for truth, as I believe that he likes to play the devil's advocate, but his post shows an experienced opinion and just makes good common sense to me, too. Any time you make spring modifications to reduce DA pull on any pistol you have the potential for creating both safety and reliability hazards. From a legal standpoint, if you ever use a modified pistol for self defense, well, I'm not even going to get started on that!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I was in LE for 22 years, security for about 10. On some of my security jobs, they get real nervous with a cocked/locked pistol, so then I carry hammer down.

Truth, you woke me up, I really don't need a DA on the P-64, I can do it, but I can also cock it as I draw. Thanks for waking me up.
>:( AHEM!!:

Author Topic: bZinggg's introductory post (Read 448 times)
bzinggg
Stakeholder

bZinggg's introductory post
« Thread Started on May 30, 2006, 2:38pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, folks! I'm glad to find this and want to thank an old friend, boeboe for wising me to the page.

I'm a genuine fan of the P-64, and own 4. Here's my attitude as I stated in a recent post on a different forum:

"I do have an affection for this much maligned little auto, though. The P-64 is so easy to carry and extremely accurate. I happen to like the extra heavy double action trigger pull because I think it provides a little more safety against accidental discharge, especially by children. I like the fact that it has a true decocker safety, that prevents the hammer from even striking the firing pin when engaged, allowing one to safely carry a round in the chamber. I actually never fire mine Double Action, electing instead to cock the hammer and fire single action, which is smooth and crisp. They are not popular because the regular routine for operation of the pistol is so different from the 1911 and other American pistols. If one gets used to operating the P-64 in the manner which I operate it, they will find it highly effective and reliable. The P-64 is one of best values available in todays American firearm market. The design, metallurgy, fit and finish far exceeds that of many of the more popular handguns today."

AND:

I am in the group that says forget spring changes to lessen the double-action pull. The pistol was made that way on purpose and is perfect and safer the way it was origionally designed. Trigger spring changes have too many negative effects on the functions performed by the action, and reduce reliability and safety. JUST DON'T SHOOT THE P-64 DOUBLE ACTION, unless you just have too. If you're in an incredible hurry to get a shot off to save your life, I promise you, you'll be able to squeeze that first round off without any trouble. Adrenalin makes it easy, and the added benefit is that you'll not shoot yourself trying to get it drawn for action. If you're new to the forum and undecided, please read "Bzinggg's Introductory Post" in the Modifications, Repairs and Fixes" section to further understand this side of the spring change argument.

AND YOU'RE KUDOING THE "LITTLE DEVIL"
For Pete's sake! What's a guy got to do around here, anyway?!!
;D :o ;D
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

bzinggg

Kudos to you, my friend! I went back and read the old posts. A lot of good info here!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I have a PD63 also & it shoots like a dream, but its bigger than the P-64. All I,m going to do is have my gunsmith check it over....he said smoothing up the insides would do wonders. And if someone tells you "it only holds 6rds", I've carried a S&W model60 (5 shot) for several years.
Its mindset, not the amount of ammo.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

That's right, grayfox. It's also easy to carry two or three extra P-64 magazines even in blue jeans or jacket pockets.

I had two of my mags with a chip off the finger guard, so I just ground and polished them on down for the old "soap bar" treatment. I prefer them for pocket carry:

duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Carrying two P64s is also an option, a second one ready to
shoot is a good security blanket.

;D
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Bzinggg,
Were did you get he flat left grip. Looks good!!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Those are the origional Radom, Poland grips, as I understand it.

I have two 1967s and two 1973s with these origional grips. They suit me to a tee:

grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Man! What a collection!!! I have gotten biten by the bug...I have a LOT of revolvers & pistols, but my babies so far are the CZ52/PD-63 & the P-64. I love the old military guns. I now carry the P-64 as my ccw.