Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Novagrod,
All you have to do is cock the hammer after you remove grips, and all tension is released, exposing the hole.. Then you simply insert the brad, paper clip, etc. Makes it simple.
Last edited by b52stan on December 31st, 2005, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

B52stan -

Thanks, but please review my previous posts on this thread. I have changed several springs using the tooling hole step described by GaryBuck; my "ugh" reference is to replacing the paper clip AFTER exchanging springs - then you can make the job easier by pushing down on the spring rod-NEW spring-mag release assembly while another person puts the paper chip in - returning the pin is then a simple task. Am I missing an easy reassembly step for my CZAK?
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Yes you are. Just recock the hammer with a finger on the spring and the tooling hole reappears. At least I think that's it. If not, it's the other way around, but all you do is drop in the paper clip and then line up the holes for the pin.

I jut tried 3 different spring and washer or no washer combos last night by myself and it was a snap. You are missing a step.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Finally did the mainspring swap.

Holy shit, what a difference.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

[quote author=admin board=fixes thread=1131295965 post=1131295965]OK ... this is actually really simple, but don't blame me if I leave a step out
0. Put on your safety glasses ... you are working with compressed springs here so don't be foolish!
1. Remove the magazine and make sure that the pistol is unloaded.
2. Recheck to make sure that the pistol is really unloaded.
3. Lower the hammer to take tension off of the mainspring
4. Find a screwdriver that fits the grip screw and remove the screw.
5. Gently pry the grips off of the frame ... the first time they come off, they can be a little tough ... just go slowly and all will be well ... you shouldn't need tools to get them to come off.
6. Find the pin about which the mag release pivots.
7. Take your 1/16" punch and push that pin out. If you don't have a set of punches, get a set of "Pistol Smith Punches" from MidwayUSA (part #482764) or some such outfit ... they are cheap (11.50 or less) and worth the price!
8. Wiggle the mag release until it comes out ... there is a little tension on the mainspring, but not too much.
9. When the mag release latch comes out, the mainspring will just slide off of its retaining pin.
10. Slide the new spring on and label the old one with a piece of tape so you don't lose track of it.
11. Put the mag release latch back in place (You can use the same punch used in step 7 to help align the holes) I've never needed 3 hands, but it does help to have something that you can push against.
12. Replace the mag release pivot pin
13. Replace the grips.
14. Replace the grip screw.
15. Admire the improvement in your P64 ...
HELP, I CANNOT GET THE NEW WAQLTHER VSPRINMG TO COMPRESS!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? NOW I CANT GET THE OEM BACK ON???
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

i TRIED TO PUT THE wAQLTHER SPRING ON BUT WONT COMPRESS. NOW I CANT GET OEM BACK ON EITHER. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS POSTED TO THE LETTER, BUT FOUND A LOT OF COMPRESSION ON BOTH SPRINGS. I GOT BLODDY FINGERS NOW. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

b52stan helped me out on this problem - place and hold the new spring assembly/mag release back in place, cock the hammer back and the tooling hole (see Garybuck's input) shows up again and you can slip in the paper clip; therefore no compression needed (I did the same thing and got sore fingers too!). Now it's a snap to replace the pin. I hope this helps.
mongo

Post by mongo »

i TRIED TO PUT THE wAQLTHER SPRING ON BUT WONT COMPRESS. NOW I CANT GET OEM BACK ON EITHER. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS POSTED TO THE LETTER, BUT FOUND A LOT OF COMPRESSION ON BOTH SPRINGS. I GOT BLODDY FINGERS NOW. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
your pistol is ruined. Ship it to me and I will give you $10 for it.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

Mongo: send the $10.00 plus s/h and I will send ups..... LOL czakBOY
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

THNX to Novgarod I just re-installed the new wollf spring in my P64---Mongo: the price has gone up consideraqbly, sorry LOL
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

CZAKboy,

Glad you got it back together! HECK, I was going to outbid "mongo" and go $20 for the parts.......ROFLMAO. You guys are crazy!

Seriously, Glad you got this solved. I have an M1A and had removed and replaced the Bolt a BUNCH, and one day it must have taken me 30 min. to get it to drop in place. I never figured out what I was doing wrong; it must have been a bad day, LOL!
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

from CZAKboy TO: all membrers::: Thnx for the help, it was late at nite and I was too tired to try the "spring swap" but I got it done. Real difference in DA and
SA is smooth as silk. I am going to tgry the "trigger polish" next. What is story on the recoil spring modifications, is it worth the effort!!! I have seen where it was posted that we need a heavier recoil spring because of the weaKer trigger spring. I do not want to wreck my baqby. What about "buffers"?????
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

BUFFERS::::: does anyone have experience with "buffers" for the p64. I have used them on my colt 45s and they are a lot of help in reducing recoil. How about modifying a .45 buffer to adopt to P64. I am not a gunsmith so I am hesistant to fool around with something like that.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Interesting question. The total slide travel is about 39 mm and to be safe, at least 32 or 33 is needed to pick up the next round. So there is about 6 mm (1/4") of additional travel before metal to metal contact between the bridge at the bottom front of the slide and the stop/takedown block on the trigger guard. IF there were a way to securely fasten buffer material to either surface, it MIGHT work.

I could write an essay on recoil (a precise quantity subject to calculation/measurement) versus 'kick' (a quality we subjectively feel.) In a nutshell, blowback handguns have more 'kick' (for the same bullet/velocity/gun weight), than do locked breach guns. I have two 22 oz stainless 9 mms (one blowback, the other locked) and the 'kick' with the same ammo is very different.
ltblazer83

Post by ltblazer83 »

I bought a 3 pack of 18# springs and put two in both of my P-64's. They made a HUGE difference. I would have gone for the 16# but I heard of people having problems with the mag ejecting after firing the last round, and with the SA trigger pull being light as a feather. With the 18# it's perfect.