Continual FTF - (sigh)

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
SalemCat

Continual FTF - (sigh)

Post by SalemCat »

I bought this "Poor Man's Walther PPK" about 10 years ago, for $250 (give or take).

It was Hand-Picked, and very clean - appearred to be used very little.

I took it to the Range, put a Mag thru it - all was fine. Took it home; cleaned and lubed.

The next year, after very few rounds (from the same lot of cartridges) it jammed - bad. FTF. I couldn't clear it, so called the onsite Gunsmith. He had to bring it out back, but did clear it - with the help of a vise and a hammer. Miraculously, it was not marred or scratched.

Soon afterwards I began begging local Gunsmiths to repair it - all were far too busy. So I dis-assemble it, and discovered LINK #16 had snapped. Bought a replacement on eBay for about $10. Took out my Machinist Vise, clamped it down, wore GOGGLES (critical), and replaced the link.

I then checked all functions, and it seemed fine.

Fast Forward to December 2020, and some Rotator Cuff Surgery. My right hand lost most of its grip, and is very slowly recovering.

Anyhow, my daily CC, a Seecamp, became far too difficult to rack. So I figured my P-64 would be better. IT IS NOT.

Using 9x18 A-Zoom Snap Caps, when I pull the Slide back, release, FTF. The cartridge hangs up between the Magazine and the Chamber. At this point I have to carefully pry the Magazine out from below.

So now I'm at an impasse. If I could even find a Gunsmith, it's not worth throwing much money at such an inexpensive handgun.

On the other hand, at least I have ammo for it.

I'm thinking of bringing it somewhere to consign, for sale, while disclosing the issue. Maybe they would then be motivated to identify the FTF, so as to sell it and profit. :(
Last edited by SalemCat on January 11th, 2021, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SalemCat

Re: Continual FTF - (sigh)

Post by SalemCat »

I have one Original, Serialized Magazine, and two Aftermarket ones.

I tried the Serialized Magazine, and it works perfectly. As one Aftermarket Magazine does.

But the second Aftermarket Magazine jams every time.

The only difference I can possibly ascertain is the second Aftermarket Magazine may be a 1/2mm longer: thus the jam.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yeah after market mags are a crap shoot, so looks like you solved your problem,
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

It could also be a weak mag spring or damaged feed lips. It is a pain, but feed lips can be "tuned". I have had to do that on several surplus magazines for different pieces in my modest collection. I do not think it is all that uncommon. Some people drop the mags and never think twice, but metal magazines do not always appreciate it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Your other possible problem is hand cycling the action. This baby likes to cycle under the firing impulse. AND the magazine, what year of manufacture is your pistol? If you have one made before 1974 and your using a magazine made AFTER 1974 that is the issue. Mags were redesigned and the newer ones have slightly longer feed lips that the older pistols do not like.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.