I just bought a broken P64...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Ketchman »

Start looking for the mag now cause you may be done with all the other before you find one. And is yours a pre 73 or post 73?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And an Uncle Mike's #1 IWB holster fits the P64 perfect and is cheap. It is what I use.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

Mine's a '75 model.

I have a cheap DeSantis IWB holster, and it sewed up nicely.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The old Bianci IWB that I use for my S+W Model 10 works nicely for the P-64, too.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I bought a mag on Gunbroker. It's still under review. The springs should be here Monday, and I also have 200rds of Silver Bear FMJ coming in to work form me.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

yours should work nicely with either early or late mags, good thing for you.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

The mag is paid for and on its way. Also, the springs came yesterday. Replacing the mainspring was easier that I thought it would be. I'm excited that the double action is at least usable now. There's still a hard wall towards the end of the pull.

There were firing pin springs included with the recoil spring set. Should I install one of those as well? What is recommended?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I did not change out my firing pin spring the first time I changed springs and saw no change, but after thinking about how old that spring may be (40+ years) I changed it out for the I created power one si now the springs are new and have had no problems. I recommend doing it because you have the spring and it should not cause problems and if it does just pop the old one back in.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I did not change out my firing pin spring the first time I changed springs and saw no change, but after thinking about how old that spring may be (40+ years) I changed it out for the increased power one so now the springs are new and I have had no problems. I recommend doing it because you have the spring and it should not cause problems and if it does just pop the old one back in.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

My thoughts on the hard wall near the end of the trigger pull,...

You have two very good options. Either disassemble the frame and polish the hammer and sear surfaces, or fire a couple of hundred times. If you elect to dry fire as many do for break in, it is a good practice to use dummy rounds/snap caps.

The P-64 can be dry fired without issue normally, but break in like this may be a bit much IMO.

Mine have had their hammer and sear surfaces polished. The triggers are as smooth as glass with a very nice and consistent break. Double action is also very good but still above 8 pounds which is the max on my gauge. Single action is about 2.5 pounds. Any lighter, and it would not be suitable for carry.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I did put the new firing pin spring in, and I went to the range yesterday. I had one light strike on Silver Bear, so I installed the 18lb hammer spring. The 22lb recoil spring helped bring the POI up to the POA. I was hitting about 4" low before.

I had issues with the trigger not engaging after flipping the safety off, too. It was about 0F with some wind, so I figured it was just greasy. I took the back end of the gun apart and cleaned a ton of grit and grease out. I'll see if it's any better next time I go to the range.

I'll work on breaking the trigger in. I hope it gets better.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Sounds like excellent progress. Keep us up to date sir.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

A good practice on any newly acquired firearm is to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean and lube everything before going to the range. I have found this to be especially important on milsurps. Also, always take multiple firearms to insure your day is not cut short due to a malfunction.

Now, to address the reset issue further,... check the trigger bar. It should be straight. I have had two that were slightly bent outward at the rear of the frame and experienced similar issues.

Those of us that use the PolishIron rubber grips are aware that if you squeeze the grip too tightly when firing, it can cause reset problems. A straight trigger bar and a little grease in the right spot keep mine running smoothly.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

GuitarmanNick wrote: December 20th, 2019, 10:01 am A good practice on any newly acquired firearm is to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean and lube everything before going to the range. I have found this to be especially important on milsurps. Also, always take multiple firearms to insure your day is not cut short due to a malfunction.

Now, to address the reset issue further,... check the trigger bar. It should be straight. I have had two that were slightly bent outward at the rear of the frame and experienced similar issues.

Those of us that use the PolishIron rubber grips are aware that if you squeeze the grip too tightly when firing, it can cause reset problems. A straight trigger bar and a little grease in the right spot keep mine running smoothly.
I bought this over a year ago, and I thought I had already cleaned it up enough. It was clean enough for warm weather shooting, but the cold seized it right up.

I always take multiples :D

I will check the bar next time I have it out. Everything is put away for a Christmas visit, right now.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

I guess all I would add is synthetic oil and grease for the colder weather, I use it all year round.