Almost "bump fires"

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Kotazo

Almost "bump fires"

Post by Kotazo »

I just acquired a P64 that has a single action trigger release that is so light that it bump fires. The double action pull is the standard 30lb mule leg, but once the hammer is cocked it is more sensitive than a double set hair trigger. When I look at the internal parts when I trip the cocked hammer, it seems that one of the "catches" is defective.
This is a 1974 made pistol that was never fired until today. As well made as this weapon is, it seems hard to believe that an internal part was misassembled or bent at the factory. It is so tight otherwise that it needs to be "fired in."
I just ordered a Wolf spring to reduce the DA pull (I've done this with a J-frame airweight and with a PX-4 Compact) as I plan to get a lot of use from this gun, but unless I can fix the SA problem it's not going outside loaded.
Thanks for your help
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Almost "bump fires"

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like it already has a Wolf light hammer spring, that's what they do, make it a hair trigger in SA
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Kotazo

Re: Almost "bump fires"

Post by Kotazo »

The Wolf Spring only is activated when firing double action. When the hammer is cocked, moving the trigger does not interact with the hammer spring at all which is why the 25 to 30 lb DA pull indicates the original spring is still in pace. Also, the gun came with the original importer tracking tags in place so I doubt it was modified or previously fired
The main movement of the SA fire is very subtile and only moves the levers and catches in front of the hammer.
Although the gun came very clean I am noticing some baked on cosmoline on these levers and catches. The inside of the slide is also coated with what appears to be dry cosmoline.

I am going to fully disassemble the gun tomorrow and clean it with Simple Green in a sonic bath. If for no other reason, taking the gun fully apart will make it clear to me the specific part that is causing the dangerous no-trigger-preasure unintended discharges.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but when I posted this call for help I mistakenly said the gun was made in 1974. The actual year marked on the slide is 1970.
Thanks