Gun decocks upon racking the slide

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
AStealthyMango

Gun decocks upon racking the slide

Post by AStealthyMango »

Hi all, I just recently acquired this little gun from J&G, and am very excited to get to shoot it. I ordered wolff springs to lighten the DA trigger pull already, but the single action pull is scary light, almost no noticeable difference between takeup and firing.

I include this info in case it gives anyone an idea as to the cause of the real problem. That problem is: after cleaning and putting everything back together, I noticed that the hammer would fall after I racked the slide. This primarily happens if I pull the slide back and release it, as opposed to riding the slide back home (like they always tell you not to do). The safety does not move, so I doubt it is the safety detent. I have zero clue as to where to begin. Should I just take it to a gunsmith?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Gun decocks upon racking the slide

Post by Curly1 »

Did it do this prior to you disassembly and cleaning?

Could be your sear is worn, what kinda shape is the pistol in?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
AStealthyMango

Post by AStealthyMango »

The pistol looks to be in good shape, only a few scratches on the blueing. Would a worn sear explain the light SA pull as well? secondly, if it is the sear, what do I do about it? are there inexpensive replacement parts?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Make sure the little strut that connects the hammer spring to the hammer is seated correctly. It is very easy to reassemble the pistol with this not aligned properly.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

If the safety is engaged, that is the lever is pointing down, the hammer will decock if you rack the slide. As for the hair trigger SA, I too have that issue even after going back to stock recoils and hammer springs. Makes me very leery of carrying it and why I'm looking to sell it.
AStealthyMango

Post by AStealthyMango »

OG17 wrote: July 17th, 2017, 9:18 am If the safety is engaged, that is the lever is pointing down, the hammer will decock if you rack the slide. As for the hair trigger SA, I too have that issue even after going back to stock recoils and hammer springs. Makes me very leery of carrying it and why I'm looking to sell it.
This occurs when the safety is not engaged.
AStealthyMango

Post by AStealthyMango »

Update: My Wolff springs got here today and I swapped the stock hammer spring out for the 18# spring, and it seems to have fixed the issue. I am not too worried about the hair trigger at this point, I plan to carry it with one in the chamber and safety on, and with the first shot being DA, I don't feel that a ND would be likely.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Sounds like initially you did not have the hammer spring strut installed correctly. I can't see how changing the spring would fix the problem but installing the assembly correctly surely would.
Glad you got it working.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I agree with Nick on the strut assembly being the culprit if like you said it happened when the safety wasn't engaged. Glad it's fixed. I also carry one in the chamber and safety on. My problem with the P64 is not the DA action but that the SA action on the follow up is way too light. It's why I carry the FEG SMC-918. Same size and capacity but the SA action is heavier than the P64's.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The Wolff springs have given mine a 2.5 -3.0 pound trigger pull. I am well aware of how light it is and rarely carry it. I do enjoy shooting it, though!