Magazine pinky extension

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jb1911

Magazine pinky extension

Post by jb1911 »

This thing really bugs me. Does anyone make a flush or flat bottom magazine base? My hand is too big to fit on the grip with the extension. I shoot my G26 with my pinky under the magazine but I can't get comfortable that way with the P64.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Magazine pinky extension

Post by Ketchman »

the answer unfortunetly is no. You could try grinding the basepad, which has been done, but use caution.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I think there is a post here somewhere with pics that some one did that.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

I have a milling machine, I was thinking of milling it off and leaving about 1/8"of plastic. Looks like there's metal in the base with plastic molded over it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Sounds like a plan. I just hope that plastic, given it's age and original composition will stand up to a milling bit. Maybe a sander instead?
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

You may be right, Ketchman. Another problem with the mag extension popped up when I bought a P64 leather flap holster made in the '60s. It won't fit with the magazine in the pistol. The spare magazine fits perfectly in the outer pouch and there's two loops inside for the cleaning rod. I know it's a P64 pistol holster, so what gives?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

That is certianly odd, they were meant to be holstered with a mag in the pistol. I am at a loss. Unless it is a counterfit holster but I have not heard of there being fakes made of something so inexpensive.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Does yours look like this?

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I do not have one like that. However, that looks suspiciously like it may be for a Makarov or possibly a PA63. Those holsters all look very very similiar. Not to.mention that one is in incredibly good condition for being a 60's issue. New made forgery maybe??? Just sayin it is possoble. But I would.check.it against the Makarov and PA 63 holsters for a match there. Since both of them have longer slides / barrels they wpuld stick up farther in the holster and the flap could close.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

In the 1st picture the black ones are for the P83. The one on the right belonged to someone called Wojtkowiak The brown I got with the P64. They are bigger than the one for the P64. In the 2nd picture the black one is for the Bulgarian Makarov. Still bigger than the brown one that came with the P64. I never got one with the P63.

Image Image
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

Mine looks just like the one on the left. I've been working saddle oil into for a few days, I finally got the pistol in it. It was a real bear to get the flap secured. I think it will stretch if I leave it for a while.
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

Ketchman wrote: July 5th, 2017, 10:37 pm I do not have one like that. However, that looks suspiciously like it may be for a Makarov or possibly a PA63. Those holsters all look very very similiar. Not to.mention that one is in incredibly good condition for being a 60's issue. New made forgery maybe??? Just sayin it is possoble. But I would.check.it against the Makarov and PA 63 holsters for a match there. Since both of them have longer slides / barrels they wpuld stick up farther in the holster and the flap could close.
Why would anyone make a fake holster when real ones can be had for under 20 bucks? That would be like counterfeiting singles.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

There may be counterfits out there IF originals are not available.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Honestly, in my experience most leather holsters need a good deal of hand work before the intended gun fits right. I have one of those NOS P64 holsters that do not fit at first. They are very much authentic, but were probably manufactured en masse from a pattern and not fitted before storage and shrinking and stiffening. A bit of mink oil, a bit of warmth, a lot of sore hands from working it all in, and it will fit perfectly.
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

I put a floor plate from one of my extra mags in my mini mill and took the pinky extension off. Here's some before and after pix: