Safety catch broke

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Gsdsarge

Re: Safety catch broke

Post by Gsdsarge »

OG17

Post by OG17 »

It's a blurry which makes it difficult to see. Look at this link and you may find what you need:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Gun-Parts/BI.aspx?Keywords=p64

This one may also work
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/205550.htm
Gsdsarge

Post by Gsdsarge »

I was lucky to find a complete slide ass'y on eBay,It should be here in a couple of days!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

wow. Talk about timing on finding that when you needed it. :shock:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Ketchman wrote:wow. Talk about timing on finding that when you needed it. :shock:
Not really. They are still there. But at $138.64 out the door pretty steep if you only need one part. There are still two more available too, if you look.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Weasel640 wrote:For some reason the First picture, maybe of the Safety won't load anymore.

Safeties are very scarce and difficult to find. Your gunsmith probably won't be able to find one.
I guess I should rephrase this to 'Difficult to find at a reasonable/affordable price'.

Gsdsarge, Now that I can see your pics, I have seen this breakage before. Some of the Safeties have broken exactly like this. Maybe due to bad metallurgy, or mistreatment. One thing is for sure: You should not dry fire (test fire on an empty chamber) the P-64. You should always use Snap Caps to prevent this type of damage from occurring.

Also if you are getting a complete Slide you could forgo swapping parts, and just swap Slides. Do a functions check (Using Snap Caps) and if everything checks out you should be good to go.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Looks like the safety was getting the snot beat out of it, too! I would like to know what caused all of the chipping to your gun. Also, did the damage only show up after last time you fired the gun, or has it been doing that all along?
Gsdsarge

Post by Gsdsarge »

Weasel,I agree with you about the metallurgy,These pistols are a cruel form of engineering,Just look at the bottom of the slide lol.But I love this pistol.To answer your question Nick,I bought it used about two months ago.I had to have the chamber fixed where the extractor looks like it hit or someone before me abused it.I had it fixed and shot almost two boxes through it when the safety let loose.I was wondering about those members on here who have had safety selector issues whether they should have their's checked for excessive wear to the catch,jmo.Still learning about the pistol,I'd like to get a couple more of them.Does anyone else on here completely disassembled the slide? Those that have,Do you feel those springs for the safety detent seem weak?When I told mine apart,The detent I had to dig out of the slide.I'd like to hear other opinions on this,Thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Some of the chamber chipping could have been from the slide slamming against it during reassembly if you don't get it right.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The detent pin may have been sticky from cosmoline. When I got mine, the first thing I did was a complete disassembly and cleaning. I too, had to pull the detent pin out of the slide. Once I cleaned the parts completely, it went back in without a problem and moves freely. I did notice a change in the feel of the safety selector after the cleaning. You can now feel the detent pin engage as it should when using the safety selector.

Take a squeeze bottle and fill it with water that is near boiling. A few good squirts into the hole for the detent pin and it should be completely free of cosmoline.

Now when I clean it, I do not always disassemble the slide. If I use particularly dirty ammunition, it is going to get disassembled.
Gsdsarge

Post by Gsdsarge »

In my opinion,I think those detent springs are not strong enough,After reading all of the threads about safety selector switch issues,Plus the importance of cleaning all of the cosmoline out of the weapon.Those who have had issues with that I think in my opinion do the following; 1) check for excessive wear to the safety catch 2)if there is wear,Have a gunsmith check it out to make sure it's safe to shoot.Please don't get me wrong,I'm not trying to start a panic,But it's better to be safe than sorry.
Gsdsarge

Post by Gsdsarge »

Nick,I saw a pic of someone's detent and it looked like a lot of cosmoline in it.Also it is important not to dry fire these pistols,I know some people will disagree,I've never been a fan of dry firing any weapon,Something I've learned in the service.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I took my daughter and son to the range today to shoot some pistols and my P-64 was among them. When I got home I cleaned the pistols and noticed marks on my P-64 where the extractor is hitting the outside edge of the barrel similar to those in your "before" picture. They were not nearly as bad as those in your photo, but I am certain that the extractor impacting it is the cause.
I do not have any marks on the inside of the barrel as in your picture.
When you had yours repaired, did your gunsmith do anything to the extractor to keep it from happening again?
bb64

Post by bb64 »

Weasel640 wrote:
Weasel640 wrote:For some reason the First picture, maybe of the Safety won't load anymore.

Safeties are very scarce and difficult to find. Your gunsmith probably won't be able to find one.
I guess I should rephrase this to 'Difficult to find at a reasonable/affordable price'.

Gsdsarge, Now that I can see your pics, I have seen this breakage before. Some of the Safeties have broken exactly like this. Maybe due to bad metallurgy, or mistreatment. One thing is for sure: You should not dry fire (test fire on an empty chamber) the P-64. You should always use Snap Caps to prevent this type of damage from occurring.

Also if you are getting a complete Slide you could forgo swapping parts, and just swap Slides. Do a functions check (Using Snap Caps) and if everything checks out you should be good to go.

Snap caps won't prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bb64 wrote:
Weasel640 wrote:

Snap caps won't prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you like to disagree with everything? Or do you actually have some thoughtful information to share?
Weasel