A different take on grips.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
J.D.

A different take on grips.

Post by J.D. »

With all due respect to Russ and Polish Iron, I love what you do and that you are doing it... I'm just not a fan of rubber or rubberish grips. And in the case of the P-64, wood replacements are damn near half the price of the pistol, hard to talk myself into it. But still, OEM grips look cheap and lack a lot of comfort.
Here was my solution- Leather. Some scrap deer hide stretched and epoxied into place over the original otherwise unaltered grip panels and waxed for a weather resistant and rather luxurious finish.
I'm happier than expected with the end result, a little bit of cushion and just the right combination of grip and slip for concealed carry. I will try to add photos but can't seem to make it work right now.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: A different take on grips.

Post by Ketchman »

Deer hide?? I must say I would never have thought of that. Very interesting concept. Pictures are needed sir.
This is what I like best about this forum and all the people that are a part of it, the ideas.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes pics for our viewing pleasure.

Welcome to the forum JD.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

No idea why I can't load photos from my phone. Keeps giving me an error message.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

they are too big. Condense them some and try again. Happens to me all the time.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Finally, some images.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Wow. Upholstered grips!! :lol: Sorry but it reminds.me very much of a couch I used to have.I must say that is rather attractive and it is EXREMELY creative for usage of materials at hand to accomplish the job. AND it looks damn good. Ok, next step is a range trip with a report for function. Salute JD, very cool.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

For anybody interested, the leather is just a small project size piece sourced from Hobby Lobby for about $4.00. I actually intended this as an experiment for proof of concept but was so pleased with the results it became my permanent solution. The process was simply taking the unaltered original grips, slathering them and the backside of the leather (cut into two pieces, one for each grip panel) in contact cement, and applying the leather to the grips, stretching and smoothing as necessary to fit into the contours of the grip panels. A wood dowel and a little water was used to press it into the screw recess, and binder clamps to hold everything in place while it sets up. The leather was then trimmed with a very sharp new razor knife, and the edges dampened and burnished with a wood dowel for smoothing and adhesion. The edges were then treated to a few quick runs with a cigarette lighter, first to burn off any "fuzz" and second to harden the edge leather into shape so it is less likely to peel or curl. Epoxy was then applied to the raw edges to seal them against water, further harden them into shape, and to eliminate any seam between the leather and plastic. The epoxy was sanded smooth with 1000 grit wet/dry. Lastly, the leather was treated to several coats of Johnson paste wax, driven deep in with the help of a hairdryer and then brushed out with my shoeshine brush. The grips pretty much match my leather jacket. Total time was about 4 hours of work. Deer, elk, and pig hides are more stretchy, flexible, and "cushioned" than cow hide. The grips offer a nice bit of rubber like cushioning, and a soft "tacky" grip similar to rubber, but the leather also "slips"... it doesn't drag or hang up on clothing like rubber or even grip tape can, making this I think a great option for my concealed carry.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Braavo!!!
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Very nice, indeed!
I'm guessing snake, and 'gator won't work near as nicely.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Great looking grips, I likey!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Nice job on great looking grips.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Thank y'all very kindly. I sort of wonder why leather has not been more popular as a grip material... I mean the obvious answer would have to do with durability, sweat and water resistance, etc. But the techniques are there to overcome any of those concerns... as is evident by leather grips on knives, tools, golf clubs, holsters, etc. Best of all though it's hard to beat the feel, and smell, of real leather.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

That does look very nice, just careful that a dog doesn't disarm you in search of a steak.
Polishiron68

Post by Polishiron68 »

Hi All,
I for one love the leather grip. I can see possibilities beyond the first draft. I'll ask a leather working friend of mine. I'm sure they can be die stamped/ formed. With artwork included.
But while we wait. Here is my latest. The v.04 beavertail. Just tested today. 100 rnds. I will test at least 400 more before release. Felt like a p-64 without the slide bite and grip pinch.
Very comfy to hold. And easy on the eyes. No shock absorption at all. But it didn't hurt. Just my pinky from the mag foot. I'm reworking that also.
I have two versions. The other is narrower. I'll follow up with a Flickr link to more pics In a couple days.
This grip is a rigid polyurethane. Slides on from the rear. Small snap in place and retained with screw. I may supply a small special tool to make removal easier. I deliberately tightened up the fit. All internal geometry is identical to the OEM grip.
And will function as such.
That pattern is a repeatable process. Kind of going for the old Bakelite look Everyone will be unique.
Solid colors always available. And a little cheaper.
The first two models will require the extended mag lever. I've closed up the gaping hole in the grip base. Leaving only clearance for the extended mag. Lever. Very clean and so much more functional.
Also the checkering on the back strap is laser engraved. Turned out pretty nice. I am also working on laser or cnc engraved artwork. Should have pics in a couple days.
All for now. Let me make sure these are reliable before I offer pricing.
Thanks again for all your support.
Russ...
Polish Iron Grips
Attachments
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 13343 times
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 13343 times
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 13343 times
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG (29.26 KiB) Viewed 13343 times