My detent won't attach to spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Riff_Benign

My detent won't attach to spring

Post by Riff_Benign »

Is my part broken or am I doing something wrong?

I've spent hours trying to get my safety back on only to learn the detent attaches to the spring... except it won't attach. Do I need a new part or am I doing it wrong?

Bought from Classic Firearms, I disassembled it for a cleaning after it suddenly wouldn't fire. Racking a round into the chamber made the trigger pull like it was on safety.

I'll attempt to upload pics but I'm currently getting an error when I do
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My detent won't attach to spring

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Here is what the plunger and spring look like.

How does it compare to yours.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/ ... 260803.jpg
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Sorry you are having trouble, and welcome.

No the Safety Detent (33) does not need to 'attach' to Safety Detent Spring (32). It simply needs to have the tabbed end inserted into the Safety Detent Spring (32). Then the two compressed in the Safety Detent Channel or hole, while at the same time sliding the Safety Catch (34) in place to capture them.

**It is strongly advised that you work on reassembling your P-64 inside a clear bag like a gallon Ziploc.**
This whole process can be very tricky. It's not uncommon to hear that someone shot a Safety Detent (33) and Safety Detent Spring (32) across their house attempting this.

Also please browse through the Assembly Manual and Parts List linked below before you continue. If you could reference the parts by the Parts List and try to post those pictures in the future it could avoid confusion as there are many different springs and detents, etc. I think the specific portion of instruction for this part is on pages 8-18.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536

Also if you do a search of the forum, there have been some good videos of the process posted. Also if you have any other problems or questions, try searching first. Most problems/questions have already been answered and you will be able to find an answer searching faster that you will get a reply.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Riff_Benign

Post by Riff_Benign »

Whoops, sorry If I've violated any forum rules. I've been lurking this forum for about a week, first time posting. I almost always lurk any forum and never post but I couldn't seem to find an answer for the issue I was addressing.

In regards to parts 32 and 33 as identified on the parts list, they seem to be mismatched. I only say that because after struggling with it for so long when attempting to reinsert, part 33 did nothing more that rest atop 32 when placed. Inserting was a nightmare as I had to carefully balance 15 on top of 14 and then apply pressure so it wouldn't slip off. I certainly didn't expect the reassembly process to be easy but it's getting so ridiculous I'm considering getting a replacement pair of parts if only to compare the difference.

I actually found this forum a bit ago because of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6169
which is almost the exact same problem I'm currently having.

After reading viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2593 I assumed a good cleaning wouldn't hurt so I disassembled the gun and soaked/ cleaned it.

It's funny you mention reassembling in a gallon bag, I actually learned a lot the part names when I was trying to make sure I had everything after springs and pins went blasting off like rockets haha.

The reason I made this post was after reading this thread
viewtopic.php?t=4392

^It says 32 and 33 should be mated together but my detent (33) does not rest easy atop the spring (32), let alone mate/attach with. I was wondering if maybe at some point the parts had been swapped or something. Maybe even resulting in my original problem occurring if a mismatch is present.

Videos I have currently reviewed are this (pertaining to my original issue) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayjLnoTGoA
and videos to help with disassembly.

Thank you for your help Curly and Weasel. Curly, for some reason I can't see image from your photobucket but I have a point of reference from the parts guide. From what I can tell they look similar but I think my spring may be a touch larger than the standard. I looks newer than my other parts too but that may be just from the mineral spirits bath. I'll try to post a pic again if I can get a clear shot that will post without error.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

no violation that i know of ,
lurk away and ask questions, that's what where here for
Norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage