Effect of lighter hammer spring on SA

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
northern

Effect of lighter hammer spring on SA

Post by northern »

My new (to me) P64 has the typically hard DA pull but SA is very light; in fact I'd like it to be slightly heavier. Surplus gun (obviously) from a retailer so I assume stock hammer spring. DA is smooth, so I don't think it's binding. I don't have a scale to weigh the SA pull, but I'm used to shooting my Ruger MKII target and 1911 bullseye gun so I don't think I'm too far off base when I say the SA is light.

I've read many posts about how 17 and 18 lb Wolff springs will lighten SA trigger weight. That's a no-go for me. But what about the 19 and 20?

If I order, I'll get the 3 spring pack but no point if even the 20lb will lighten my SA weight.

By the way, this handgun is surprisingly accurate.
Poppy42

Re: Effect of lighter hammer spring on SA

Post by Poppy42 »

I know what you are talking about. I got my p64 from spawn shop so I know there was at least one previous owner. I have nothing to compare it to as it's my only p64 and I have no way to test the sa trigger pull other than experience with other guns and the options of friends with as much or more experience than me. The one thing we agree on is that the sa trigger pull on my p64 is less than 2 pounds and I believe that the hammer spring has been already changed. It is uncomfortabley light for me. My problem is that I don't have factory springs to put back in. So do o get the heaviest springs Wolf has and hope for the best? Or just get use to extremely light sa trigger?
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Perry

Post by Perry »

I recently bought a 1974 P64. I believe that it had the stock springs when I got it, the DA trigger pull was nearly impossible, the SA pull was OK. I put a 18 lb. Wolff hammer spring in it, the DA is now possible but it still takes some effort. As far as I can tell the spring change had no effect on the SA trigger pull, or at least very little. It is far from being a "hair trigger" in SA.
northern

Post by northern »

Sounds like I might be OK with the higher weight springs. I've ordered the spring kit and will give in a try.

I think an "extremely light" sa trigger is dangerous unless at the range or other controlled conditions. And I think the heavy DA pull makes a light SA pull more risky.