Failures to feed

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Failures to feed

Post by robhic »

Before you go on a tear, just try one change at a time so you'll get a better idea what the problem is/was. Might just be one simple thing and you need go no further. But you knew that .... I think, IMO, the ammo and lube are good choices. Just FYI, all my P64's run an18# hammer spring and 20# recoil spring. The original weight 18# recoil spring caused intermittent failure to return to battery. That extra 2# of the 20# spring fixed it. Now all 5 of my P64's are problem free.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

Weasel640 wrote:
LovingSensei wrote:The round just doesn't seem to be pushed in all the way.
Are they the older mags or new mags? It will still be important to note what mag is giving you the issue, or if it is both.
LovingSensei wrote:Yeah that may be it. I'm gonna test with only 5 rounds in each mag and see if that solves the issue. If it does. I will definitely clean the mags and try six again. I just ordered two keep shooting mags. I hope I didn't waste my money!
They will most likely wear out fairly quickly. The early Keep Shooting Mags were garbage. The more recent one have gotten mixed reviews and seem to me the luck of the draw. Figure out your issue before using them or you may have more issues from them.

Oh and you know you can quote multiple people in one reply?
Hahaha sorry I'm using my phone. And they just came with the gun. I don't know exactly how old they are. My gun again is from 1974. Next time I go to the range I will try shooting one mag with five rounds and another with six. Several times. I will make sure the gun is lubed properly, I will be using S&B ammo instead of Red army standard, and I will try the 20 lb recoil spring. I will let you guys know how it goes. I'm hoping the gun just needs to be shot a bit or the magazines need to be cleaned. Or that it just needs some better ammo. The red army stuff was kind of rough looking even though it was brass.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

robhic wrote:Before you go on a tear, just try one change at a time so you'll get a better idea what the problem is/was. Might just be one simple thing and you need go no further. But you knew that .... I think, IMO, the ammo and lube are good choices. Just FYI, all my P64's run an18# hammer spring and 20# recoil spring. The original weight 18# recoil spring caused intermittent failure to return to battery. That extra 2# of the 20# spring fixed it. Now all 5 of my P64's are problem free.
I will definitely try that! After I fix the issue I wil also be replacing that blasted stiff hammer spring! XD
xskinman

Post by xskinman »

i found that a new magazine spring solved my problem with failure to feed
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

xskinman wrote:i found that a new magazine spring solved my problem with failure to feed
Yeah I notice that most of the time when these guns don't work properly it's because of cosmoline build up, or some issue with magazines.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

xskinman wrote:i found that a new magazine spring solved my problem with failure to feed
Could you start another thread detailing what you did for the new Magazine spring? The question often comes up but no one seems to have recent documentation of how to do it. Thanks.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

Weasel640 wrote:
Could you start another thread detailing what you did for the new Magazine spring? The question often comes up but no one seems to have recent documentation of how to do it. Thanks.
Heck yes I wanna know too.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:
And while you're at it, tell us WHERE you got the "new" magazine spring. Is it a P64 spring new to you from another magazine, another brand spring re-purposed for use in a P64 mag or what? No one has found a source for a real P64 replacement mag-spring! Sorta like a unicorn!!! :lol:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

It's your recoil spring, mine did the same thing when I switched to the wolff 22lb spring, I switched it back to stock and haven't had any issues since

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

gradles21 wrote:It's your recoil spring, mine did the same thing when I switched to the wolff 22lb spring, I switched it back to stock and haven't had any issues since
Did you grind the ends flat on the 22lb spring? Or just put it in?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

gradles21 wrote:It's your recoil spring, mine did the same thing when I switched to the wolff 22lb spring, I switched it back to stock and haven't had any issues since

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I will try the 20 lb!
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

Weasel640 wrote:
My 22 pound actually had its ends grounded flat by the gunsmith so that definitely could not be the issue with mine.
oldgunnut

Post by oldgunnut »

As you may know there are at least two variations of the P-64s. Generally the early version has a round hammer and the late version has a pointed or spurred hammer. There is a difference in the magazines as well. The late variation has slightly longer feed lips. If you hold a early and late mags side by side you can see the difference. I have one of each a 1969 early and a 1976 late. When I got the 1969 it would jam up with one of the mags but worked fine with the other. I found that the mag it jammed with had longer feed lips. My 1976 mags both had long lips and they worked fine in the 1976 pistol. I took the mag that did not work well in the 1969 and carefully shortened the feed lips to the same length as the mag that worked well. Now both mags work just fine. I put the serial number of the pistol on the mags so I would not mix the early and late mags with the early and late pistols. This may not be your problem but could be worth looking at.
Pillman

Post by Pillman »

Weasel640 wrote:
I know I'm late to this party but I'm having the same issue. Could you please describe the process of "grinding the ends flat" on the recoil spring and what the significance of this would be? I had put the Wolff 22lb recoil spring in and now I've switched back to the original but having the same issue. I'm going to try only loading with 5 rounds. I've cleaned the mags. -- Thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Review this topic for spring grinding.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary