Decocker dropping issue

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gradles21

Decocker dropping issue

Post by gradles21 »

Hey guys, anyone else experienced the decocker dropping from the recoil? It only does it about 10% if the time but it's pretty annoying, other than that my p64 works flawlessly. is there a way to tighten up the decocker?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Decocker dropping issue

Post by Weasel640 »

First it's a Safety, not a decocker.

You probably need to check that the Safety Detent is not rounded. If so, search the forum, there are threads about fixing it.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

Here it is, not sure if this would be considered rounded or not

chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I have always called it a de-cocker. None of mine have had a problem, but the detent is probably the problem
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

Me too. Could it be the detent spring?

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

gradles21 wrote:Me too. Could it be the detent spring?
When trying to troubleshot it avoids confusion if we refer to parts by their proper name. I.E. If I told you to go searching for a decocker detent, or decocker detent spring, your search result might be less than desired. But if I tell you to look for a Safety Detent then you come up with the right part.

There are good pictures of what your Safety Detent should/n't look like here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045&p=43843#p43843

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4365&p=42759#p42759

I'm seeing the Safety Detents readily available on both Gunbroker, and eBay. The Safety Detent Springs do normally come available on those two sources but I'm not seeing them now. On page 2 of the first link above, they talk about alternate springs to use. I believe the Safety Detent Spring for a Walther PPK will also work, one for a FEG PA-63 might work as well.

Another thing to check is that the grove in the Safety isn't worn to much. There should be a noticeable notch cut at both sides of travel. Good picture here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1215&p=14517#p14517

Also when you are putting the Safety Detent back in; It may help your sanity if you do it inside of a larger clear bag. Some people have accidentally launched these tiny parts, it makes for a frustrating scavenger hunt.

These are pretty good starting points for any other troubleshooting you may need to do:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, let us know how you make out on Weasels suggestions.

+1 on the plastic bag for assembly/disassembly, it has saved me on several occasions from loosing parts on different handguns.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

Thanks for the help guys. But yes I've learned the plastic bag trick lesson the hard way. The day that I bought this p64 last week I took it home to clean and lube before going to the range, and while taking off the slide lever the slide lever spring shot out of there like a bat out of hell, luckily I have hardwood floors so I could hear when and where it hit the ground (still took me 30 min to find).
Anyway I'm wondering how stiff the detent spring should be, I've read some people say the plunger and spring can shoot out of its hole once you pull out the safety lever. When I remove the safety lever out of mine the spring seems too weak, the plunger only pops up out of the hole about halfway and I need needle nose pliers to remove it. I just assume buy a new one since I already ordered the detent but I'm not finding the spring for sale anywhere. Any thoughts?

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gradles21 wrote:Anyway I'm wondering how stiff the detent spring should be, I've read some people say the plunger and spring can shoot out of its hole once you pull out the safety lever.
The spring should be stiff enough to be annoying and make things difficult to re-assemble. :? That said, if cleaning the hole out so the existing spring and plunger don't work easily (they can gum up and not work right) and you can't find the correct P64 part, as said above, a Walther PPK detent spring and detent will work. I have one of my P64s sporting a PPK spring and detent. It works fine. If gunbroker is a fail, try http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/P64-c202.htm for P64 parts or even PPK parts in a clutch. Good luck.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

Thanks. I'll have to give that a shot if the new ppk detent doesn't fix the problem

gradles21

Post by gradles21 »

The new ppk detent fixed the issue. Thanks guys

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice, I luv it when a plan comes together.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary