Safety - not happy - then - :)

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Nickjc

Safety - not happy - then - :)

Post by Nickjc »

So the problem I found with the safety was that it was so incredibly tight that it was unuseable - you think the trigger was bad - whoa....!

So i detail stripped the slide and looked at the spring in and of itself with the plunger - polish ( with a fine ceramic stone(no dremel's please)) - assemble - and if you MUST work on a part - PLEASE use the cheapest and most readily available part ......meaning do not screw with the saftey body itself !

More polish assemble....still not happy.

Looking at the hole, the travel needed, as well as the hole(s) in the safety, I came up with an idea.

What I felt I needed was a stronger spring with less travel compression- I know sounds wierd but bear with me.

I searched my bin of parts and suitable springs and - voila !

AR-15 front take daown pin detent spring..........still and compresses but not a lot - it must be trimmed to length and after trial and error - I found the proper length.

The spring should be just long enough where the plunger crests the hole where the angle to tip is - meaning you have a straight wall shaft - then an angle to tip of plunger - where that angle starts - that should be level with the hole top +/- a very little - your mileage may vary and trial and error fit might (will) be needed - but I can attest to the following.

The safety can be moved on and off with effort to unseat but smooth across the motion- but not so much that you cannot do it - it is not soft in the detent either, especially a concern when in fire position as we do not want the recoil to unseat the plunger/compress the spring and allow it to come off fire :)

All I can say is try it, you have nothing to lose and all to gain, for me it made it, i hasten to use the word pleasurable....

I hope it works for you - I will report back from the range tomorrow to ensure that my assessment that it will remain solidly in fire on recoil, is true.

Hope it helps someone..........
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Safety - not happy - then - :)

Post by Curly1 »

Good tip Nick!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary