P-64 won't fire in double action.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
sirnathanq

P-64 won't fire in double action.

Post by sirnathanq »

Hey guys, I'm new here and I need your help.
I picked up a 1972 P-64 from Classic Firearms on Wednesday, and I finally took it shooting yesterday. The gun won't fire on double action mode, it's as if the safety were still on. The trigger has no resistance, and the hammer does not move at all. Talk about double action being your safety.
What confuses me about the whole thing is that without a round in the chamber it function checks perfectly. On both double and single action it will launch a pencil placed in the barrel across the room with a nice firing pin indent on the eraser. So it works fine, until you put a round in the chamber. Once it's loaded it has the problems I described. Single action is fine, if I don't decock the pistol it works, but it's as if you left the safety on in double action mode.
And yes, I cleaned it. I did a field strip with cleaning before I took it out, and last night I completely disassembled and cleaned the slide and disassembled and cleaned the frame to the sear. Exact same problem persists.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I appreciate it.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P-64 won't fire in double action.

Post by Weasel640 »

Have you considered sending it back to Classic for a replacement?

The most common reasons that double action won't work is:

The Trigger Return Spring(19) is broken, or out of place. If broken, Norm sells a better one here: www.p64resource.com/goods.php

or

Something is causing the Disconnector(2) to function incorrectly. These can be found on eBay or Gunbroker if needed, but may require some fitting.

Refer to the Parts List and Assembly Manual to make sure everything is in right: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Agree with Weasel; sounds like the trigger return spring tail has come off the trigger or broken. When this happens, the trigger bar is not pushed upwards and neither is the disconnector. If the disconnector is down, the trigger "freewheels."

Take the slide off and pull the disconnector all the way up. You should see the trigger work normally in DA and SA. Pushing down very slightly should result in the trigger going into freewheel.

Working through that little hole on the left side, trying to put the spring tail back on the pin will get you talking to yourself.

Hope this helps.
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Also, check to see if the slide goes fully into battery when there is a cartridge inserted. It doesn't take but being a very little out of battery for the trigger to disconnect.
sirnathanq

Post by sirnathanq »

Well, it was the disconnector. I ordered 2 extras and carefully filed it down until it allowed the gun to function properly. Unfortunately, when I finally got it shooting, the safety broke in half about 100 rounds in. I'm currently looking to get a new one, but they're rare it seems.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

sirnathanq wrote:Well, it was the disconnector. I ordered 2 extras and carefully filed it down until it allowed the gun to function properly. Unfortunately, when I finally got it shooting, the safety broke in half about 100 rounds in. I'm currently looking to get a new one, but they're rare it seems.
Safeties are slim to none. They are almost impossible to find. And when they do come up there are like 20 people trying to get it.

Since Classic Firearms sent you a Lemon, get them to replace you P-64 all together. Or return it and get a new one from somewhere else.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 go back to classic and see what they will do for you.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary