Strange new issue with safety reset

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Fiorina

Strange new issue with safety reset

Post by Fiorina »

So I recently took apart my pistol and snipped a little bit off the safety spring. It feels a lot easier to use now. But I've ran into an odd problem.

When I switch my pistol from Safe to Fire, sometimes the trigger goes all the way back. Feeling exactly like it was on Safe. After that initial pull, it goes back to normal DA pull. I'm a little baffled here. Thanks
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Strange new issue with safety reset

Post by Weasel640 »

Probably try to post a videos showing exactly whats going on. Would be more helpful with the grips off, one video shot from each side of the gun. Otherwise we'll end up playing 20 questions and some may still not fully know exactly what you are trying to describe.

However it does sound to me like your Trigger Return Spring(19) has gone bad or gotten lose/out of place. It is totally unrelated to the mod you did to your Safety Detent Spring(32). The Trigger Return Spring(19) not only resets the Trigger(16), but also lifts the Trigger Bar(21) into the correct position to engage the Hammer(8) and Sear(4) during the double action pull.

Take a look at the Parts List and Assembly Guide here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
It should be page 47 in the Assembly Guide, make sure your Trigger Return Spring(19) is correctly in place. If it is broken then Norm sells better ones on the main page here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I'm with Weasel. I, too, have taken "a little off the top"of the detent spring to make the safety/decock lever a bit smoother and it had NO bearing on the pull weight of the trigger. The problem lies elsewhere. I broke the trigger return spring removing the grips (!!!) on my first pistol so it's not hard to do. Norm's replacement springs (mentioned) are new and better. Inexpensive and you can get one (I'd get 2 to be safe...) quickly if that is the problem.

Good Luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Polishiron68

Post by Polishiron68 »

I think I may know. I sent a PM.
Unrelated to the aforementioned.
Also I found it fairly easy to make the safety silky smooth, positive and secure. Not recommended to shorten the spring. You are already down to the detent. So remove it. Chuck it in your dremmel or drill press. Run at high speed and dress the pointy end into a radius. I use a diamond hone to dress it. Regular al. Oxide etc. stones don't do anything against that hard steel.
Another method is to run the detent in your drill press while gently holding a dremmel cut-off wheel against the point, again while running. Until you get the desired radius.
You will see the groove that is worn in the opposing safety barrel surfaced. That is from the pointy detent. Stone and polish it as well. Small amount of lube thereafter. It will take a few tries until you get the correct feel. But you can take off a surprising amount.
I haven't got around to it yet but a properly sized Vlier Ball Plunger, (look it up) as a drop in, Not threaded would work perfectly and won't fly across the room.
Russ...
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Thanks for the replys. I'll probably pick up a couple springs in case I need it. I have some Wolff hammer springs on the way as well. When I was messing with it last night I didn't see how my safety mod could affect the trigger like that
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Ok I got it all figured out. I had just put on Russ's new V05 grip. There is a small tab of rubber in the back near the hammer that was causing the safety bar to hang up. I trimmed it down and it works great now. Thanks for the help Russ!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Fiorina wrote:Ok I got it all figured out. I had just put on Russ's new V05 grip. There is a small tab of rubber in the back near the hammer that was causing the safety bar to hang up. I trimmed it down and it works great now. Thanks for the help Russ!
There is no such thing as a "Safety Bar". Do you mean "Trigger Bar"(21), or the "Disconnector"(2)? This is why I had linked you the Parts list (http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf) if we are all on the same page for terminology then it will help others more. Instead of having to ask questions clarifying what part you are talking about.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Fiorina

Post by Fiorina »

Sorry. Trigger bar