Suggestions for Care and Cleaning of OEM Holster

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Rancher9

Suggestions for Care and Cleaning of OEM Holster

Post by Rancher9 »

Hi! I am new to the forum as well as ownership of a P-64. I have found this forum a great resource.

Thank you.

Along with the gun, cleaning rod, and magazines, came an OEM Holster. This holster smells a bit musty. I would like to know if there are any special requirements, do, not do's for cleaning, restoring the leather?
mikethedruid

Re: Suggestions for Care and Cleaning of OEM Holster

Post by mikethedruid »

Here is what I do to recondition these holsters, and it seems to work well. First, inspect all the seams very well. If any repairs need to be done, have them resewn by a good cobbler shop. Then soak the inside of the holster well with neatsfoot oil. I mean paint it on heavy with a paintbrush so you can get into all the nooks and crannies. Wipe the outside well with it also. Put a lot on the inside. the leather will soak it up overnight. Next day do the same using mink oil. It will not take as much this time to wet the leather well on the surface. Again wipe the outside well with it also. Allow the holster to dry for about a week. Wipe the leather well with absorbent cloth to remove any remaining oil on the surface, of which there will probably be none. Then polish it with Kiwi black shoe polish. Don't use the "Parade Black", it damages leather ! You may find the spare mag holder too tight for practical extraction in a tight situation. The trick I use is, right after the oil treatments, while waiting for it to really soak in, slip a few strips of cereal box cardboard, cut to size but a bit long, into the mag slot, then slip in a mag between them. Make sure it is all the way down, and leave overnight. Usually stretches it perfectly, and the extra length of the cardboard makes it easy to get out after the job. Afterward, the mag itself, without the cardboard, will fit more easily.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I used a good quality leather oil, wiped it off, let it dry. Smells good now. Still waiting to wear it somewhere, someday!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Rancher9

Post by Rancher9 »

mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

Since yours is a brown holster, instead of black shoe polish, use brown, or tan. You will be able to tell which to use after you have oiled the leather well. It will darken a bit. Use whichever matches best. The polish will color in those areas that may be scratched, or those tiny cracks in the surface I see beginning to develop. Once the leather is reconditioned with the neatsfoot and mink oil it will not continue to crack as badly.
Rancher9

Post by Rancher9 »

Thank you for the input mikethedruid. What if I re-shellac the surface with belt shellac
http://cwrranch.com/images/P64.html