Refinishing my P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Kamalo87

Refinishing my P64

Post by Kamalo87 »

Hey everyone. Im new to the forum, this is my first post.
I have been refinishing my P64 for the past few months on and off...
The frame was first de-blued using white vinegar and then parkerized black.
I completely disassembled the slide, removed the bluing, had it media blasted by a buddy of mine, and attempted to parkerize it 2x. Each time the parkerization was splotchy and uneven. So i ended up reblasting slide and i cold blued it for now. So far this combination jas held up very well and i am pleased with the results. I EDC the gun with a clipdraw, and it fits perfectly!

I am trying to reach out to the manufacturer of the "zee" grips, and have sent an email to him.
I would be very interested in buying a set of plain black zee grips. I also saw the polishiron type grips available, but i prefer not to have finger grooves. Maybe i should look into making my own line of grips.

When i dissasembled the slide i also stripped and parjerized many of the components. Several of the springs were filled with gunk, especially the trigger guard arm spring. I also did a bit of sanding and polishing to clean up the Horrendously tight safety. This involved smoothing the detent pin and the associated holes on the safety "barrel". It is as smooth as one could wish for now.

I did a little cleaning up of the rails on the slide and frame too. They were a little crunchy, so i deburred and polished them up a bit. Smooth as butter now. Made it easier to rack the slide too.

Also polished the trigger surfaces some, i intend to change out the hammer spring, but not the recoil or trigger springs. I like the single action trigger as is. The gun cycles flawlessly, i out 200 riunds downrange the other day (not to my hands likin) and i had NO ftf, stovepipes, or anything! I ran tulammo the whole time. Pics to come!
Kamalo87

Re: Refinishing my P64

Post by Kamalo87 »

Browse through the album.

Last edited by Kamalo87 on May 18th, 2016, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Your link doesn't work :(
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Kamalo87

Post by Kamalo87 »

Should be fixed now.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Lot of effort.looks nice!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Very nice job - looks great! I'd recommend installing the Polish Iron grips. See myriad other threads. Your hands will thank you.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Great job!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Getsum92

Post by Getsum92 »

Hey new here too! Just bought a P64 about 4 days ago awesome firearm. That DA is a beast ordered the reducer springs the 18/19/20 which the best to use? Also is there a place to get better grips so that kick doesn't kill the webbing of my hand lol. Also your pistol looks amazing really good job looks brand spanking new.
Kamalo87

Post by Kamalo87 »

Thanks! I have heard there are grips called polishiron made by someone here in the forums. You can find then for sale in the for sale threads. Otherwise marschall grips has many beautiful wood grips available. There was a guy making what they call "zee" grips. I really liked those. Similar or same as the factory grips, but made of rubber.

Im trying to make my own wood ones as we speak, just barely started but hopefully they work out!