Re: Polish Iron V05 grips, road testing

Post by OG17 »

They will to some extent.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

yes a little, the most increase is across the back of the grip which has a small increase in width but that small increase is a huge help in taming recoil.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Netspec

Post by Netspec »

I like the grip/holster combo!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks. I myself like them very much too.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Update:
Since my initial review I have carried this setup quite a bit more and I stil think this setup is better than sliced bread. The grips have help up extremly well, no warping, cracking or discoloration and still tames recoil well. And the holster has held up very well also. It has broken in nicely and yet still grips the gun quite well. The leathers finish has held up pretty well to sweat, which happens kinda often here in Wyoming in the summer. And the rig disappears under a T shirt or lightweight short sleeved button down.
All in all, between the V05 grips of PolishIron's and the Outbags IWB holster I have to say I have a pretty solid carry combo.
Netspec

Post by Netspec »

"the V05 grips of PolishIron's and the Outbags IWB holster I have to say I have a pretty solid carry combo"

P-64's on its way, along with Hammer and recoil springs. Just need to order this holster and a belt!
Netspec

Post by Netspec »

Ketchman,

Is there a brand of CC belt you'd recommend?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Not specifically just make sure it is plenty stiff, like double thick cowhide or has a stiffener in it. Also make sure it is wide enough, a stiff belt that is only 1" wide will not have enough surface to distribute weight and tension over to be comfortable. Mine is extra thick cowhide and is 1 1/2" thick and sometimes with my heaviest EDC's that is not wide enough to be comfortable for long long periods. Make sure the buckle is sturdy as it will have to endure quite a bit of stress. The flexible fabric military belts are not good enough in my opinion unless they have been specially stiffened with plastic or steel inserts to make them stiff enough. But as far as a specific type, no, carry belts are as person specific as holster type and carry location preference, it is different for everyone. And you will go through a few before you find what works for you. Try looking at holster makers websites and get some ideas and sometimes you can find some at a gunshow where you can check them out before you buy. Don't depend on a Walmart or Costco belt.
I hope this helps.
Netspec

Post by Netspec »

Thanks Ketchman!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

No problem. I hope I was able to help you.
dmorris150

Post by dmorris150 »

Just installed Russ's grips and extended mag release.wow what a diffrence they fit my hand like a glove.No more death grip on the gun,no more slide bite and fumbling to release the mag.I shot 200 rds of my reloads and 50 rds of critical defense yesterday at the range.This p64 is now going to be my every day carry.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

I just bought the grips, I can't afford the extended release for a while. Is there any reason I absolutely need the extended release with the grips?
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

No., You should have no problems using the oem mag release with Russ's grips.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Walmart actually has a decent wide genuine leather belt, I think it was either Wrangler or Levis. Around $17, sturdy nickel-plated buckle, good thickness.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Ketchman wrote: March 19th, 2018, 12:21 am No., You should have no problems using the oem mag release with Russ's grips.
Thanks sir - much appreciated. I am a new P64 owner and newish to the boards. Been lurking, decided that since I took the plunge to actually join. I am incredibly impressed with the community here.

Trying to figure out what, if any, spare parts I should buy. But the grip and extended release came highly recommended.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx