Using Makarov mag springs as replacements?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gman68w

Using Makarov mag springs as replacements?

Post by gman68w »

I could have sworn there was a stickied tutorial on how to take Wolff's replacement Makarov magazine springs and trimming them down for use in the P64, but for the life of me I can't find it.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
chestertnted

Re: Using Makarov mag springs as replacements?

Post by chestertnted »

I like your Luke 22:36!
I believe what it says.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I'm not sure what you're referring to but I got some 9 Mak springs from Wolff and they were YUGE! No way they coulda been cut down. They were too wide and too long (front to back). Sent 'em back for credit.

I think BERSA "Thunder" 380 mag springs were mentioned as they are fairly close but the only thing Wolff's got is like a single-stack, full-size (Glock, etc.) pistol mag spring. I seed 'em wit ma own eyes!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

chestertnted wrote:I like your Luke 22:36!
I believe what it says.
Yup, right before he sent Peter & Pals off into the world, he said "Alright, look here fellas. There's gonna be some folks who don't like what you have to say about me. You probably ought to have something to get yourself out of that kind of situation."
robhic wrote:I'm not sure what you're referring to but I got some 9 Mak springs from Wolff and they were YUGE! No way they coulda been cut down. They were too wide and too long (front to back). Sent 'em back for credit.

I think BERSA "Thunder" 380 mag springs were mentioned as they are fairly close but the only thing Wolff's got is like a single-stack, full-size (Glock, etc.) pistol mag spring. I seed 'em wit ma own eyes!
I think I saw the thread about the Thunder mag springs somewhere. The T380 is next on my shopping list, as a matter of fact, so I'll have more impetus to buy spare mags and mag springs.

I also wrote to Wolff, asking about P64 mag springs, he responded with:

"Hello Sir,

Thank you for your email and inquiry. Unfortunately we do not offer P64 replacement magazine springs. I will pass along your request and save your email to alert you should we get started on that project.

Regards,
John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings"

Maybe if we all get together and bug them, "Should we get started" will become "We'll get on it right away".
Randall_G

Post by Randall_G »

I re-purposed the springs from two P64 magazines I bought from Keep Shooting, installing them in the body of the two magazines that came with the gun. The Keep Shooting magazines aren’t working reliably in my 1968 P64, even after grinding down the longer feed lips. But, the springs seem to work fine in the factory magazines, even though they are noticeably shorter. Disclaimer: the slide doesn’t always lock back after firing the final round on my P64—maybe one out of 10 times fails to lock—but this was also occurring with the factory springs installed in both factory magazines.
Attachments
IMG_5870txt2.jpg
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I dunno, $25 a pop isn't reasonable for just springs. I'll keep it in mind, though, if no other alternatives present themselves.