WOLFF SPRING PACKS

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
RoyOdhner

WOLFF SPRING PACKS

Post by RoyOdhner »

Hey Guys,

I bought one of the hammer spring packs, and one of the recoil spring packs. I noticed that the hammer spring pack has a 19 pound spring, but there is not a corresponding recoil spring in the recoil spring pack. If I opted to go with the 19 pound hammer spring, what recoil spring pairs best with it?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: WOLFF SPRING PACKS

Post by robhic »

Since the recoil springs are such a snap to put on and off I'd say just play around with them. Original spring is 18# so you might start there. GRIND THE ENDS FLAT AS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED! And install it tighter end first towards breech. You'll be fine.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

Good deal. Will a good old fashioned file work to grind the ends?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

RoyOdhner wrote:Good deal. Will a good old fashioned file work to grind the ends?
Sure but it'll take a lotta work. You could rub it on the concrete, too, but why? Don't have access to a grinder or Dremel tool of some sort? A drill w/sanding disc? That'll make it SO much easier and faster for you.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

O.K., lemme see if I got this right: each end of the recoil spring needs to be sanded across the top, kindasorta at an angle so that each end appears flat, like the flat top I used to have in the Navy.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

View this thread for spring flattening.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

RoyOdhner wrote:O.K., lemme see if I got this right: each end of the recoil spring needs to be sanded across the top, kindasorta at an angle so that each end appears flat, like the flat top I used to have in the Navy.
Yes and no. Sanded across the top - yes. At an angle - not sure what you mean so NO. Just grind the round end coil(s) so they are flat and not round any longer. Like holding it perpendicular against a file, sandpaper or the sidewalk :mrgreen: until it's flat. Easy! That link Curly put up should help.
- Robert

3line3

Post by 3line3 »

Do it just like JB7748 shows in his pictures in the link Curly1 posted. I used a 6" piece of 1/2" dowel, secured it with a #19 brad and sanded it on 3M sandpaper for metal. I made passes on all 3 grades in the pack, from course to fine, just to make it nice. Ended up looking just like the ends on the factory spring and the whole operation only took about 15 minutes. I've got more in the sandpaper, dowel and brads than I originally paid for the Wolff spring, but it really made field stripping and reassembly a whole lot easier.

Best,
Jeff