Did something stupid need help

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ElAndy

Did something stupid need help

Post by ElAndy »

yesterday while i had my gun disassembled for cleaning. I dry fired the gun in an attempt to understand the internal mechanics a little better, I know now that was a stupid thing to do but this is my first DA/SA handgun and I didnt know any better. Anyhow, now the trigger will not work at all. I can cock the gun but the tigger will not drop the hammer. what do i do? Thanks in advance for any help
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Did something stupid need help

Post by robhic »

OK, "will not drop the hammer" as in the trigger works (has resistance), the trigger-bar moves but the hammer won't operate? Or the trigger is limp/loose and nothing works almost like it's on 'safe' or 'decocked'? Let's start there.

And, is the gun back together now?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Now while I think your talking about a p64. But what firearm are you talking about ?
ElAndy

Post by ElAndy »

yes we are talking about a p64 . it is back together now though. yes the trigger is limp and loose and has very little resistance
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Is the slide all the way into battery?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Is the trigger connected to the trigger bar?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

+1 on "in full battery" and +1 on if trigger connected. Check with light if trigger spring might be broken off at the end. Look inside to see if the long end contacts the trigger bar. If not a new one is around $6 from forum member NORM SUTTON who takes PayPal and makes the excellent replacements himself. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Larry-in-Eastby

Post by Larry-in-Eastby »

Had something similar happen to me while I was dissecting how this pistol worked to figure out if I could polish or grease something to cure the horrid DA trigger pull.

It was the return spring on the trigger bar that jumped the pin so the trigger bar was limp and would not go up into place. It acted as if the safety was on because that's exactly what the safety does (it pushes the trigger bar down). Check to make certain that the trigger bar is in the up position (in the back) and that you can push it down and that it returns back up. Else the pistol will look like it is assembled correctly and you will not notice this. If you need to release the hammer you could use a screwdriver or awl to push disengage the hammer.

To fix (after verifying this is the problem first) you have to remove the magazine slide lock to access the little hole to be able to use an awl to push the spring leg up while you reseat the trigger bar. With an awl and screwdriver it takes about 10 minutes if you go very slow to fix this. It actually took me longer to watch and download the YouTube video.

I do not recommend dry firing with the slide and grips off as the stresses on the trigger bar are such that it wants to bow out and you could actually damage the bar enough that it no longer disassembles and reassembles with ease. You need the slide and grips installed to push it against the frame to prevent it bowing out when you pull the trigger. Once bent you can never bend it quite back right for easy assembly-though you could straighten it enough to make it go bang. If you insist on dry firing while slide and/or grips are off then be sure to apply pressure on the trigger bar towards the frame to keep it from bowing out and jumping of the spring leg and from getting permanently bent.

There is a nice frame disassembly video on youtube that will show the hows in everything.

GOOD LUCK!