FTF on first shot in full magazine

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: FTF on first shot in full magazine

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote:I'm gonna write Keepshooting, ask if they wouldn't consider selling the springs separately.
After this exchange yesterday, I wrote Wolff again and reasoned with them. I said I belonged to a P64 pistol forum and one of the more common complaints was lack of availability of replacement mag springs.

I told them I thought I had read that 10,000 and maybe even 100,000 P64s had been imported into the country and sold as a package with 2 mags with each gun. Told 'em to "do the math" as the pistols were made from the early 60's until at least 1977 and that the mags could be of an age and quantity that providing replacement springs could be a winner. Told them to please think about it.... I guess we'll see. :wink:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

It's not the "People would snatch them up, why aren't you making them?" that's bugging me. It's "You're already making recoil and hammer and firing pin springs. Why not mag springs and trigger springs as well?"
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote:It's not the "People would snatch them up, why aren't you making them?" that's bugging me. It's "You're already making recoil and hammer and firing pin springs. Why not mag springs and trigger springs as well?"
At least trigger springs aren't that hard to find and even available on-forum made by NORM SUTTON. Mag springs you'd think, as you state, they'd make because of all the others. The Makarov 9mm springs I ordered were way too big by comparison. It must be one large mag & pistol! But the P64 is popular so it does make one wonder why they skip the mag spring while making the other 3 available. :?:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I could've sworn I saw a tutorial here on how to trim the Makarov mag spring down to size for the P64 mags.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote:I could've sworn I saw a tutorial here on how to trim the Makarov mag spring down to size for the P64 mags.
Unless it was a different 'Makarov' spring than the ones I got, I'd say a definite NO WAY! Maybe some other type that was close, but the Mak spring pack I got from Wolff was about 7" long, 1/2" wide and maybe 2" front to back. It looked like a mag spring for one of my Glocks. I still think there's potential in the BERSA spring, just not sure if it's the 7rd mag (std.) or 8rd.
- Robert

gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Are the Makarov magazines double-stack or staggered? Not single stack like the P64?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote:Are the Makarov magazines double-stack or staggered? Not single stack like the P64?
I have no idea but from the size I'd have to presume the mag they fit would be a double stack. Like I said, they reminded me of the sprinngs in my Glock double-dtack mags. Also got this:

Thank you for your email and for taking the time to suggest a new item to add to our product line. We're always looking to expand our product line and depend on our customers to point us in the right direction when determining which springs we should concentrate on. While I can't give you a time line or a definite commitment to making replacement magazine springs for the P64, I will pass along your request. I will also save your email and should we get something going with that project, I'll let you know.
Regards,
John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Makarov mags are single stack
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Curly they did make a commercial double stack Mak. So care must be used if ordering mag springs for Maks.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Ketchman wrote:Curly they did make a commercial double stack Mak. So care must be used if ordering mag springs for Maks.
That must be the one I got the mag springs for. Those things were 2-3 times as large as a P64 spring AND it was marked "Makarov" on the Wolff site. That's what I get for assuming .... :?
- Robert

gman68w

Post by gman68w »

That's another good reason for them to start producing P64-specific springs. "No more guesswork! Get a spring designed for -your- gun!"
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Welp, I think I can safely call the issue as the mag springs. Switching the recoil spring back to OEM worked for a little while, and now I'm right back where I started.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I was wrong again. Got new springs in the mags, same issue as before. Only it's not just the first shot every time. Sometimes it's the third or fifth. But the results are just like what I showed you in the earlier photos.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Have you tried loading five rounds instead of six?
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

BeoBill wrote:Have you tried loading five rounds instead of six?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6016#p55087

That was the first thing I tried, yup. Worked for a while, then it didn't.

The thing is, if I load a full mag, then quickly chamber one and fire the rest, it doesn't hang up. But if I chamber a round, and let the gun sit that way all day, the next time I fire it it hangs on feeding the second round.