FTF on first shot in full magazine

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gman68w

Re: FTF on first shot in full magazine

Post by gman68w »

snailman153624 wrote:Don't waste your money on the ks mags, unless you're just buying them for spare parts. The sheet metal is too soft or too thin, and it gets all bent out of shape from the recoil when fired. No I'm not joking.
Have you bought one of them recently? All the recent reviews say they're okay.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

gman68w wrote:
snailman153624 wrote:Don't waste your money on the ks mags, unless you're just buying them for spare parts. The sheet metal is too soft or too thin, and it gets all bent out of shape from the recoil when fired. No I'm not joking.
Have you bought one of them recently? All the recent reviews say they're okay.
Recently, as in a couple of years ago now. I wouldn't trust them for EDC, only target practice. Because the mags bulged (from the rounds pushing out on the feed lips, from the mags own spring pressure), they can be difficult to insert and remove. The factory mag has never had any issues.

If it weren't for the thin metal, I'd give them 5 stars. The overall quality is great, the baseplate fits perfectly, the mag spring works well, etc. With the weak/thin metal, they're a 2 at best.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I wouldn't pay $25 a piece just for the springs, though. If the most recent reviews are anything to go by, they made changes to their mags since you bought yours in 2012.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Got some closeups here if that'll help you guys help me diagnose this thing.
FTF closeup
FTF closeup
Closeup 2
Closeup 2
All I have to do is pull the slide back just the teensiest bit, and the mag follower pops the round in place. Occasionally, forward assist is necessary, but not often.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Are your mag springs oriented in the correct direction?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I would assume so? I've never disassembled them, and they're factory mags, so unless someone took them apart before I got to them, they should be good.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Based on what you describe, the recoil spring you have may be too stiff for the ammo you are using.

Contrary to popular belief, recoil springs aren't there to reduce recoil, felt or otherwise. They are there to absorb energy from the cartridge you just fired, store it (while slowing down and stopping the slide), and then using it to ram the next cartridge in. As such, the combo of the mass of the slide, and the stiffness of the spring, need to balance the amount of blowback force from the round you are firing.

Hot rounds need stiffer springs, and tame rounds need softer springs.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:Based on what you describe, the recoil spring you have may be too stiff for the ammo you are using.
That's what crossed my mind. What recoil spring is in the gun, the original or heavier? I had that same thought the heavier recoil spring(s) would snap the slide forward faster and catch the round mid-feed. The 18# original-weight might slow things down (like as in the ammo in use back when these pistols were new...) and wouldn't return so fast. If it is the OEM spring, I got nothin'. :(
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

It's the Wolff spring, #20 I think, I'll have to check the package (EDIT: I checked it, it was the #22. Weird thing was, it's shorter and wider than the OEM spring. I don't remember if it came to me that way). It's never been a problem for the year I've had it. I thought springs where supposed to get weaker with use, not stiffer? I'll swap to the OEM, see if that makes a difference.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

For what it's worth, I bought a sample pack of Wolff springs to play with. I, too, noticed some different dimensions between the springs. I thought that was odd. :? Seems dimensionally they'd be the same only made of different stoutness of wire. Oh well, live and learn but yes, the different springs are strangely different in size, too. Go figure....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Hmm. Well anyway, I don't wanna jinx anything, but it seems like swapping back to the OEM spring works. I can't figure it out. Did all the manufacturers of 9mm Mak ammo decide all at once to lower the power of the cartridge? Did Coily the Spring Fairy come and strengthen the spring when I left my gun under the pillow? Why did this issue only crop up after a year of use?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote: Why did this issue only crop up after a year of use?
Maybe because the mag springs have gotten weaker with use? Man, I wish Wolff would offer P64 mag springs. :( They off all kinds of other stuff and it seems there are thousands of P64s around, Wonder why they don't make some?
- Robert

gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Mag springs are the thing I keep coming back to. I've also emailed Wolff and asked why they don't, and the response was "We don't know, but we'll get back to you as soon as we do". I think more of us need to bug them about it.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gman68w wrote:Mag springs are the thing I keep coming back to. I've also emailed Wolff and asked why they don't, and the response was "We don't know, but we'll get back to you as soon as we do". I think more of us need to bug them about it.
That's pretty much what I got back in the email when I asked them the same question. They make some odd s**t, seems P64 mag springs, with all the guns that've been imported, would be a decent seller. :?
- Robert

gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I'm gonna write Keepshooting, ask if they wouldn't consider selling the springs separately.